Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Really bouncy ride

Old 07-09-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really bouncy ride

My axle is off-centered about 2 inches to the left while looking at the jeep. This is causing my coils to have a bow in them and also the bump stops to be touching the side of the coils. I already have an adjustable track bar on the way to re-center the axle. So my question is that is it because my coils have a bow and are not straight the reason my ride is bouncy? and I mean REALLY bouncy. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Your axle is two inches off and you have an adjustable track bar? Did you adjust it the wrong way?!?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The OP stated he had the adjustable tracbar on the way..
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
Your axle is two inches off and you have an adjustable track bar? Did you adjust it the wrong way?!?
He has an adjustable track bar on the way.......
Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With or without the track bar, the bouncy ride is almost for sure a bad match between the springs and shocks.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lowendrider
The OP stated he had the adjustable tracbar on the way..
Thanks, read over the "the way" part. My bad!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Freewill
With or without the track bar, the bouncy ride is almost for sure a bad match between the springs and shocks.
I would agree except it is only on the passenger side. Drivers side rides just fine. Maybe the drivers side shock is bad??

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2014, 01:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by csbkdd
I would agree except it is only on the passenger side. Drivers side rides just fine. Maybe the drivers side shock is bad??
Did you mean passenger's side? Regardless, disconnect the shocks and see if they have pressure.

Also, when the lift was installed, were the trackbars and control arms all loosened while lifted, and then not tightened and torqued until full weight was on the ground?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Did you mean passenger's side? Regardless, disconnect the shocks and see if they have pressure.

Also, when the lift was installed, were the trackbars and control arms all loosened while lifted, and then not tightened and torqued until full weight was on the ground?
Yes I meant passengers side is probably bad. I'll unbolt it shortly and check the pressure. And It has been lifted for awhile now, I just never got around to buying a track bar to align my axle because the ride was fine! Just in the past few days has it gotten bouncy and I was trying to figure out why. My guess is the shock though
Old 07-09-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by csbkdd
Yes I meant passengers side is probably bad. I'll unbolt it shortly and check the pressure. And It has been lifted for awhile now, I just never got around to buying a track bar to align my axle because the ride was fine! Just in the past few days has it gotten bouncy and I was trying to figure out why. My guess is the shock though
If the ride was OK at first with those shocks, and if the problem is one side only, then it could be a defective shock. A bad shock would be a mis-match with the spring for sure!

Also, the comment about tightening the assembly with the Jeep on the ground is important. When the bolts are tightened with the Jeep on jack stands it puts unwanted pre-load on the components and weird things will happen with the ride and handling.

Quick Reply: Really bouncy ride