Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Real quick, need optimal tire pressure for road trip

Old 04-29-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real quick, need optimal tire pressure for road trip

Runnin 33" Discoverer STTs. What's the optimal tire pressure for minimal wear and decent gas mileage? 32psi?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2_RESQ
Runnin 33" Discoverer STTs. What's the optimal tire pressure for minimal wear and decent gas mileage? 32psi?

Thats a good question.
I've only got about 28 in my Procomps AT's due to the "D" load rating. BUT'
it seems that there is more buldge in the side walls than I'd expect.
I'm gonna put 30 in there cause I gotta do some highway driving in the AM in the big cty.
As usuall, I'll take some pics

chuck
Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Are these on the stock rims or wider aftermarket ones? Each tire and rim size varies on the contact patch for the time. Only way to find out is check the sidewall pressure and look for "arching" in the center of the tire (over inflated). Check for"bellies" on the sidewalls (under inflated).

I run 30 psi on the street on my 33s on stock X 16" wheels. Any higher, they'll wear prematurely down the center.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Arrrrgh! Tire pressure again....every thread on this makes me start messing again, lol. I can tell you that after having read every technical bulliten, speaking with tire manufacturers, etc, i'm still not completely sure.

I think i've finally found a sweet spot for my 245/75/r16 load range E tires. I'm running 50lbs in front and rear. Lower, for a more comfortable ride, feels like the sidewalls are flexing too much. Many tech bullitens and much research, says nothing under 50psi for speed with a load range E, or too much heat will be generated in the sidewalls. I've tried everything from 25psi to 56 and handling on the road seems best at 50psi, but i'm prepared to be laughed at for having it too high .
Old 04-29-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have great success doing exactly what the sidewall of the tire calls for and I think that is 50 PSI on my 08 rubicon with stock tires. Ride is not bad and good wear patter, plus it helps fuel consumption.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Edit -> Found out what load rang D means. I'm on aftermarket 16x8 rims

Last edited by H2_RESQ; 04-29-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RabidCow
Arrrrgh! Tire pressure again....every thread on this makes me start messing again, lol. I can tell you that after having read every technical bulliten, speaking with tire manufacturers, etc, i'm still not completely sure.

I think i've finally found a sweet spot for my 245/75/r16 load range E tires. I'm running 50lbs in front and rear. Lower, for a more comfortable ride, feels like the sidewalls are flexing too much. Many tech bullitens and much research, says nothing under 50psi for speed with a load range E, or too much heat will be generated in the sidewalls. I've tried everything from 25psi to 56 and handling on the road seems best at 50psi, but i'm prepared to be laughed at for having it too high .
Are those the stock Goodyears? Only reason I ask is because if so I think they are rated for a max pressure of 44psi.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

So after some quick research, it appears the optimal psi for the highway with load range D tires is anywhere from 29-32 psi. I took them down to 31 and they dont seem to be bulging anywhere and the contact patch is pretty much flat. Is that what i'm looking for?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I've done the test run from 30 PSI to 40 increasing week to week for about 15 weeks now. I've been increasing in .5 increments and started at 35 and didn't like anything in this range (35 to 40). Long story short I found that 31 to 32psi felt the best on the road. Any higher and it was like rocks driving but I'm running the Xtremes from Procomp and they are a directional tire.

I would guess for control, comfort and even wear you should run between 28 to 35.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeep08ham
I have great success doing exactly what the sidewall of the tire calls for and I think that is 50 PSI on my 08 rubicon with stock tires. Ride is not bad and good wear patter, plus it helps fuel consumption.
50 !! Thats the max pressure for max load listed on the side... not recommended pressure(I think they fill them to 37 at the factory) . Im not saying there is anything wrong with 50, I just think the ride would be harsh and you would get crowning. I run my stock rubi tires at 33. For me the ride is nice and the tires wear evenly.

Quick Reply: Real quick, need optimal tire pressure for road trip