Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

"The real off road crowd" water crossings.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I have an sPOD and one of the problems with it is that it's designed to turn things that are normally off on, not to turn things that are normally on off. That may sound like a fine distinction, but I wanted to wire the sPOD to control my engine fan on my 3.8. Here's how I did it ...

Note that on a 3.8 there are only two wires to the radiator fan. On a 3.6 there are three. Ignore the extra wire (I believe it is white). A friend with a 2012 said that worked fine on his 3.6. Also note that there is a lot more power going to the engine fan than you may realize. A small horn relay will not work--besides, it needs to be a five pin relay, able to pass a signal through when powered off (which is why the sPOD doesn't do the job directly). I recommend this relay ...

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Relay-Si.../dp/B001PNMBE4

I attached the new relay to the fan shroud with some Zip-ties. I wrapped the connections with F-4 tape (Google it). Bear in mind that the relay I recommend comes with a couple extra heavy duty terminal lugs designed for its oversized pins.

I wired the relay control wires to the sPOD. Bear in mind that the way this works is what you want: I can override the Jeep's decision to turn on the fan motor. I cannot force the fan on, but I can force it off.

What that means at the sPOD controller is that when the switch is powered on (as shown in this image), the fan cannot run. Go very long like that and the Jeep will let you know because the engine can easily overheat. If you don't have an sPOD, then you can wire a switch to serve the same function: Wire it so that the switch, when activated, powers the coil of the new 80 amp relay. That will remove power from the fan no matter what the Jeep tries to do. When the switch is in the other position, that will allow the Jeep to decide whether or not to run the fan. Again: You do NOT want to wire it so that you have to remember to turn the fan off and on as you're driving the Jeep. this is just an override to force it off for a brief time while fording a stream.

And, because pictures of river fording are fun ...

And this is not how you ford a creek (or the Buffalo River, in this case). The friend driving my Jeep is a highly experienced overlander and knows that and was just screwing with me.

And one final point that hasn't been mentioned: If/when Jeep ever sells a diesel Jeep in the U.S., that is WAY better for regular river fording because it still runs fine when wet (doesn't need electrical spark system).

Attachment 633135
Attachment 633136
Attachment 633137
Attachment 633138
Attachment 633139
Attachment 633140
Attachment 633141
Attachment 633142

Awesome information. thank you!
Old 12-30-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhand129
I just bought a zeon 10s. I believe their water resistance rating is that it will work submerged for 30 minutes.
This is actually the winch i decided to purchase. 10-s should be more than enough for my two door
Old 12-30-2015, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 21
So what are you suppose to do when you get stuck in the middle of crossing? besides quickly hook up and get pulled out. Shut the engine off? I'm still very new to this and have subscribed to this because this is a huge concern for me when going hunting or etc. please keep the wealth of knowledge coming. I'm learning.

Also, what should you do if you accidentally depress the clutch in the water? (For future reference)
Very informative thread. If you have a manual, shift to 4WD HI. If you stall mid crossing, you can start your engine in 4WD HI without depressing the clutch.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's actually 4lo where you can start without the clutch.

If you do press the the clutch under water then yes, it's too late but avoid doing it again. When you get back to civilization, spray water into the inspection plate (engine off) in hopes of draining small particulate out. I've done that with no ill effect, it's just any other water in there has lead to problems down the road.

Quick Reply: "The real off road crowd" water crossings.