Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ready to upgrade from TF BB

Old 02-03-2014, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to upgrade from TF BB

So, I went with a Teraflex 2.5" Budget Boost with shock extensions last year. It was my first "lift" on my first jeep (2011 JKU) and my goal was to crawl into modifying, make the mods myself, jump to a 35 (closer to 34's) and retain as much of the original feel of the ride; this is my DD and sees 3-4 days on the trails (not as much crawling as rough trails and higher speeds, but I do like mixing it up).

I really can't complain about the setup. But, I'm ready to put some more $ and some more time into my setup. I'm just not sure what the next logical approach is. I'd like to build upon what I already have instead of tearing it out and starting over. So, that leaves the question: what are the typical upgrades from a BB? It seems like shocks would be smart considering I have extensions. Maybe coils too?

I appreciate the shared knowledge! Thanks guys.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get 2.5 coils and keep the shocks extensions or get shocks from Teraflex and sale your pucks on the forum.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in a simlar situation as you. I had the Rubicon express 2" spacer lift and shock extenders installed with 35's and just changes my setup. I went with the Rock Krawler 2.5 with the new triple rate coils and the bilstein 5100 shocks. Im very happy so far. Ride is much better and stance is what I was looking for. Your best bet is to buy a new kit and new shocks and sell you BB and extenders, otherwise you will prob just run into more issues and end up spending more money to try and piece together the right components you need.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One way to keep it simple would be to do it in stages.
Swap in some TeraFlex 2.5" coils, sell the BB spacers.
Upgrade the shocks, TeraFlex or Fox. Sell the shock adapters.
Consider changing out the frame trackbar drop bracket for the axle mounted version.
BONUS: Add a set of adjustable front lower control arms so you dial in your caster better.

Thanks for buying TeraFlex.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for the responses....

So, as for TF coils can you throw some part numbers at me?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found the part numbers for the TF coils.

I was expecting to see more than one option on coils, but it appears there's just a from and rear specific to the 2.5" size. What should I expect as an effect on the ride from the TF coils?

Is there anything I should take into consideration when choosing a coil?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:12 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the same setup as you, JKU with TF BB. Its a great basic no-thrills cheap lift. The ride was rather rough up front with plenty of bump steer. I added AEV Geometry Correction Brackets and WOW!!! What a difference! This completely took away the roughness and softened bumps dramatically. The bump steer is gone and the BB acts like a completely different lift. The BEST $99 upgrade to the TeraFlex Budget Boost.

If you're not adding any weight just keep your TF BB set-up. Add the AEV Geo Bracket and some quality shocks and you'll have a much better ride. I'd keep mine but with a winch and bumper my #19 springs sagged over an inch already in less than 5 months. There are plenty of good deals on shocks in the Billboard right now too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4007860846.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	528801

Last edited by Tripletsi; 02-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting. You seem pretty sold on the AEV brackets. That's a cheap upgrade. But, I do have plans on replacing the factory bumpers over the next year. But, I suppose this wouldn't be an upgrade that gets tossed away when I do replace springs.

Thanks for the post!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes I was sold right away. I read previous posts which stated the same results, it was hard to believe. After installing them I purposely drove the roads that I knew I had issues with, and instantly felt the difference.

Quick Reply: Ready to upgrade from TF BB