Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ready to pull the trigger on lift and tires

Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to pull the trigger on lift and tires

I have been reading posts on this forum (thank God for it) for two months. I have managed to piddle on the Jeep with adding accessories here and there. Thanks to all for the informative write-ups and suggestions. I am having an absolute blast building my toy! After wheeling a few times, even though I have a very capable stock Rubicon, it has become painfully obvious I need a lift and tires. I have decided on Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with shock extensions and 35" tires. Due to the terrain in this area, I really need a tire with mud cleaning, and digging capabilities. I also travel to the mountains a good bit in the winter and need snow traction. So, even though I have spent hours and hours on this forum reading I still have a few questions and value your opinions. My Jeep is not a DD so I don't really care about ride comfort that much. It's a Jeep not a Lexus

1. What is the best tire for mud and snow? I am planning on using my stock 17" wheels if possible. I have been leaning towards KM2's but I don't think they are the best in mud.
2. I am doing the lift and spacers first, then tires, then gears. Is this the right order?
3. What next? I am adding bumpers, tire carrier, and a winch and some underbody armor afterwards. Do I need to add anything else other than the Teraflex 2.5 coil to make everything "right"?
4. Eventually, I want to swap out the stock shocks and extensions for Bilstein shocks, so it will ride better. I don't foresee ever getting 37" tires or a bigger lift.

I don't know what I'm really asking here, just looking to see if I'm on the right track I guess. You all are great and I'm really proud to be a part of the Jeep community
Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

1. Get duratrac's. There the best all around tire for snow and mud. I had the km1's and they sucked in the snow.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by firemarshal

1. What is the best tire for mud and snow? I am planning on using my stock 17" wheels if possible. I have been leaning towards KM2's but I don't think they are the best in mud.
2. I am doing the lift and spacers first, then tires, then gears. Is this the right order?
3. What next? I am adding bumpers, tire carrier, and a winch and some underbody armor afterwards. Do I need to add anything else other than the Teraflex 2.5 coil to make everything "right"?
4. Eventually, I want to swap out the stock shocks and extensions for Bilstein shocks, so it will ride better. I don't foresee ever getting 37" tires or a bigger lift.

I don't know what I'm really asking here, just looking to see if I'm on the right track I guess. You all are great and I'm really proud to be a part of the Jeep community
1) There are alot of options there but can only go from what I run. Nitto mud grapplers are great in the mud and I have had no problems in the snow. Just beware they are a heavy tire, but being your jeep isnt a DD you wont care.
2) Are you sure won't be getting bigger tires? I had 33s then jumped to 35s and of coarse now I want 37s With the TF 2.5 you'll fit 35s and can trim the fenders later to fit 37s. Before buying the gears get a progammer first, some feel they dont need gears....ya right you need 'em. Get 5.13s and call it done just in case you decide to run 37s later.
3) Front and rear adj track bar, but you can get away with a bracket in the rear. Some use Front lower CAs to get their caster back to fix the "flighty" steering. I haven't seem to need them just yet.
4) So far your build plan seems solid, I know some would say you need more for this and that. One thing I would suggest getting since you have an auto is a aftermarket tranny cooler, $60 insurance that your tranny doesn't over heat. Also get axle sleeves and C-gussets if you plan on keeping the D30 up front or atleast the C-gussets.

Good luck with the build
Brian
Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Im getting 315/70/17 (35) duratracs next week. Ive never heard a bad thing about them
Old 03-05-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmat1980
Im getting 315/70/17 (35) duratracs next week. Ive never heard a bad thing about them
x2
I did a lot of reading and posting since September and I am going with 315/70/17 duratracs when my jeep gets here. Awesome in snow I hear
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firehound
1) There are alot of options there but can only go from what I run. Nitto mud grapplers are great in the mud and I have had no problems in the snow. Just beware they are a heavy tire, but being your jeep isnt a DD you wont care.
2) Are you sure won't be getting bigger tires? I had 33s then jumped to 35s and of coarse now I want 37s With the TF 2.5 you'll fit 35s and can trim the fenders later to fit 37s. Before buying the gears get a progammer first, some feel they dont need gears....ya right you need 'em. Get 5.13s and call it done just in case you decide to run 37s later.
3) Front and rear adj track bar, but you can get away with a bracket in the rear. Some use Front lower CAs to get their caster back to fix the "flighty" steering. I haven't seem to need them just yet.
4) So far your build plan seems solid, I know some would say you need more for this and that. One thing I would suggest getting since you have an auto is a aftermarket tranny cooler, $60 insurance that your tranny doesn't over heat. Also get axle sleeves and C-gussets if you plan on keeping the D30 up front or atleast the C-gussets.

Good luck with the build
Brian
Thanks for the very informative answer Will I still need the axle sleeves and gussets since I have the Dana 44 up front?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sleeves and the C gussets can't hurt anything. I'd say do it right off the bat so you dont have to worry about it later. I run the Mickey Thompson MTZ's and I know they were rated a top dog mud tire by one of the offroad mags during a shoot out but I couldn't tell you the snow performance. They ride nice on the street too for a mud. Make sure you get some form of bracket/gusset for the trac bar brackets too. Big weak point in the JK's or at least mine. Haha and I broke one running stock.

Quick Reply: Ready to pull the trigger on lift and tires