Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-Using Diff Oil after a Cover Change?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-Using Diff Oil after a Cover Change?

Hey Folks,

I just got a set of front and read Riddler diff covers for my JK. My question is this: After installing the new covers, can I re-use my differential gear oil? I just had it changed a couple of months ago, and don't really want to spend another $60 on top of the cost of the covers. So would it be okay to capture the diff oil and re-use it, keeping track of which diff they came from?

My only concern is that the Riddler's may need more oil than the stock covers. Could I then add oil to top off the old stuff, or should I just bite the bullet and put all new oil in them?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. Pics of the painted Riddlers to come on Tuesday...
Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always used new oil each time I pull the cover(s).

But I do know others who have reused their recent filled oil back in as well. Just be sure it is clean enough!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres no problem with it, in my opinion, as long as the fluid is in good condition still. But if you drain it and it looks like used then you might as well change it. I don't think theres a problem with mixing old and new either, as long as its the same stuff. My dealer has recaptured my mobile 1 and reused it several times (I had some issues with my lockers which required several trips and several inspections/work/etc) I change my diff fluid a lot more than is recommended, as with all my fluids, but I'm weird like that -- but I still don't see a problem with reusing good fluid.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:15 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the help! I'll try and reuse my old stuff, hopefully there's enough to fill up with the new Riddlers.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor

Reuse it if it looks good. You'll probably need more with the new covers.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

I would reuse it. Before you fill it up, run a magnet through the oil when it's in a pan and use a strainer to get any flakes out. Make sure you top off in case the new covers hold more oil.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Augie
I would reuse it. Before you fill it up, run a magnet through the oil when it's in a pan and use a strainer to get any flakes out. Make sure you top off in case the new covers hold more oil.
great tip augie!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

I'm OCD so I'd put new stuff in just in case of any contamination, either metal or other, but I am OCD so it's probably overkill like a lot of the other stuff I do.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
I'm OCD so I'd put new stuff in just in case of any contamination, either metal or other, but I am OCD so it's probably overkill like a lot of the other stuff I do.
As would I. The old fluid is out, the new covers are on. New fluid is not that expensive.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

I would never reuse my diff fluid. I dont care if it was only in there for aday. I guess im just anal when it comes to stuff like that

Quick Reply: Re-Using Diff Oil after a Cover Change?