Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re torquing question.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re torquing question.

Hi. I just had a spacer lift done. Before I go on a trip I want to re torque rather than have something come apart in the ass end of nowhere.
1. Should I loosen then re torque bolts
2. Should I only do the bolts that would have been loosened for the lift?
3. If only those bolts, what would that typically be. Didn't put it on myself.

Thanks, I know they are likely dumb questions, but not as dumb as not asking if I don't know.

sent from my difference engine using tapatalk
Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you left all bolt loose until vehicle was back on the ground then re-torqued then you should just re-torque again. if you tightened every thing up before set the vehicle back on the ground then maybe loosen everything again so things can settle then re-torque. I typically torque everything in the suspension before i go on wheeling trips just to be safe.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The right way would probably be to loosen completely and retorque but you're tightening a jeep suspension not a space shuttle so just making sure everything is tight is a good route.

Torque numbers are a bunch of crap really. They only truly apply to fresh, clean, unlubricated bolts.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by EzK
The right way would probably be to loosen completely and retorque but you're tightening a jeep suspension not a space shuttle so just making sure everything is tight is a good route.

Torque numbers are a bunch of crap really. They only truly apply to fresh, clean, unlubricated bolts.
You actually can't get a proper torque reading unless they are lubed. That's why in engine builds they use moly on bolts. No lube causes increased friction making for a false torque reading
Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
You actually can't get a proper torque reading unless they are lubed. That's why in engine builds they use moly on bolts. No lube causes increased friction making for a false torque reading
Torque specs are usually for clean dry threads, unless otherwise specified.
Lubing threads that are meant to be dry torqued will result in an over torqued condition.
When lubing the threads is called for in instructions, the specified torque takes that into consideration.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok thanks for all the input.

In summary, no simple answer. To be by the book loosen and re torque. ( I didn't install so don't know if it was tightened raised or lowered), but it's also not rocket science so don't sweat it too much if it's all tight. That sound about right?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gnarlyswine
Ok thanks for all the input.

In summary, no simple answer. To be by the book loosen and re torque. ( I didn't install so don't know if it was tightened raised or lowered), but it's also not rocket science so don't sweat it too much if it's all tight. That sound about right?

Sounds about right to me

Quick Reply: Re torquing question.