Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-gearing Question

Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-gearing Question

Hey guys,

I have a bone stock 2010 Sport 2dr 6 speed. Soon to come will be the TF BB and wheels and tires, I just don't know what size. My JK has the towing package with 3.73's instead of the standard 3.21's so my question is: Will 3.73's be able to turn 35's without too much of a problem? Or are 33's about as big as I can go without having to re-gear? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to JK-Forum. There are a ton of gearing threads, so try searching and you'll find a ton of information including charts specific to the 6 speed.

I have 6 speed 2 door rubicon and thought that 35s and 4.10s was liveable. It wasn't great though. I've since regeared to 4.88s and it's great.

A 6 speed, 3.73s and 35s would probably be right on the edge of what I'd be willing to live with, and even then I would only be willing to live with it long enough until I could get some gears installed. You'll use more clutch to get off the line. You'll rarely if ever use 6th gear. You'll probably have to downshift on hills of any size. You'll find there may be some gaps between the gears (i.e. if you used to upshift at 2,500 that may now drop the revs too low). It would probably just be mildly annoying until you regeared. So if it's a matter of saving up for a few months, I'm sure you could live with it.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 33 vs 35

Use your 3.73 with 33 inch tires. It is only an inch in height difference between 33 and 35. It will still be a good drive, not too slow on the road.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ctJK14
Hey guys,

I have a bone stock 2010 Sport 2dr 6 speed. Soon to come will be the TF BB and wheels and tires, I just don't know what size. My JK has the towing package with 3.73's instead of the standard 3.21's so my question is: Will 3.73's be able to turn 35's without too much of a problem? Or are 33's about as big as I can go without having to re-gear? Thanks.
you'll see some power loss but sure, you can run 35's on 3.73. i have done it for about a year and feel that it's totally doable especially if you have a superchips and sprint booser.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info guys.

I didn't realize how easy it would be to find similar posts. It seems for the most part that unless you live in a very hilly area, 35's and 3.73's should work fairly well. I don't do much highway driving as it is so even if 6th gear became useless, I don't think I would mind that much. If I go 35's I do plan on re-gearing eventually, just wanted to find out if it would be bearable until I could buy some new gears.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ctJK14
Thanks for the info guys.

I didn't realize how easy it would be to find similar posts. It seems for the most part that unless you live in a very hilly area, 35's and 3.73's should work fairly well. I don't do much highway driving as it is so even if 6th gear became useless, I don't think I would mind that much. If I go 35's I do plan on re-gearing eventually, just wanted to find out if it would be bearable until I could buy some new gears.
i live in a very hilly area and honestly, you'll be fine. in any case, i would say try it and if you hate it, you know what to save up for
Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

That's a good point. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I hated running the 3.73's. Would just move new gears up on the priority list.

Quick Reply: Re-gearing Question