Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-gearing

Old 06-29-2015, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-gearing

I am about to move up to 35 in tires from 315.
I know that there is an half inch difference but I still think a re gear is necessary from my current stock gears. I have both rear and front heavy duty bumpers and a winch. I have a 2 door auto 09.
My aFe intake, Gibson exhaust and Bullydog GT tuner manages to give me around 15 mpg on the highway and 13 city. I am a daily driver and I never tow anything so I want to find a good balance between power and mileage.
So far I am deciding between 4.88 and 5.13.
Please comment if you run something similar to this.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 4 door, auto, 2010, 3.8L, D44 front/rear, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I went with 5.38s based on Planman's advice and might eventually upgrade to 37s. 70MPH has me at 2600 RPM. I get around 12 MPG city with a lead foot, about 14-15 MPG highway if I keep it around 70-75MPH. I still turn off OD around town since 4th gear is still sluggish.

Last edited by TRAUMAhead; 06-29-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are about a thousand other "What gears should I get?" threads to read through. Find reviews from people with your model JK, your engine, your elevation, similar roads, similar use, similar speeds, similar tire size, similar lift height, similar load, similar feelings on the power or lack of power of the 3.8

I ran 5.13's with 33's for a while before getting 35's. Swapped to 5.38's with the 35's, and eventually went to 37's. For me, higher rpm's (more hp/torque) is the way to go in these 3.8 auto's.

But, do the research noted above to see what makes sense for 'you', not me or anyone else. What you may read in a few of the posts is that higher rpm's should keep you in OD longer, which can actually improve the mpg's. Depends on location and use and whatever. There was a guy on here a few years back whining about being talked into higher numeric gears than he needed, something like 20 pages into his rants we find out that his daily commute never passed 50mph. Well no shit he didn't need the extra rpm/hp/torque that people who actually use the freeway might want.

Quick Reply: Re-gearing