Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-geared now this! Help!

Old 08-23-2015, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard

White Snake??? Really. I'm not a 1980's rock band.
To funny lol
Old 08-23-2015, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Pulled everything out. Passengers tube is bent. Way bent. That might explain it. The question now is put a new axle in until i can order a tera 30 and transfer internals or just go with a built 44. Maybe g2.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Herea some pics...carrier and gears looked fine. Drivers side shaft looked fine. Turned out seal leak was from plastic axle guide ring wedged in between shaft and seal (sloppy 4x4 shop).
Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJKF
Pulled everything out. Passengers tube is bent. Way bent. That might explain it. The question now is put a new axle in until i can order a tera 30 and transfer internals or just go with a built 44. Maybe g2.
Why put a new shaft in when you know it's going to get destroyed? Just pull both shafts and drive it 2wd until you figure out which way to go with the new axle.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Why put a new shaft in when you know it's going to get destroyed? Just pull both shafts and drive it 2wd until you figure out which way to go with the new axle.
Agreed. Write off the axle. I'd go for a 44 built with a locker (not a factory rubicon). Or find a cheap d30 that someone pulled from their jk and run that for a while. It must be really cheap/free. Anything spent on that axle could go toward a 44.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
White Snake??? Really. I'm not a 1980's rock band.
It is clever though. Don't worry, you won't have to go again on your own....in the still of the night.....
Old 08-24-2015, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

One moe ting...

Spoke to a fiend (or friend) in the process of re-gearing. He did a LOT of research before selecting gears and a shop. One thing he found that did not apply to him (or me either) is if you re-gear and DO NOT change out the 3.21 carrier the axles won't have sufficient insertion dept and this can happen.

Did you have 3.21 gears originally? Did the shop change out your carrier for a 3.73 one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3MXiTeH_Pg

Last edited by Sahara Lee; 08-24-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Yes. Went to the larger carrier, or atleast i was charged for a 3.73 carrier... After pulling everything to replace seals it was very obvious that axle tube is bent up and back. I figure it was putting end of shaft under stress...but well see when i stuff my internals into the tera30 i just ordered. Gonna find a different mechanic to install gears for sure though.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

The wrong carrier was used, and insertion depth of the axle was inadequate. This is 100% on the shop the did the swap IMO. I would take it back to them with the proper carrier info and force them to correct their mistake.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kingsize24
The wrong carrier was used, and insertion depth of the axle was inadequate. This is 100% on the shop the did the swap IMO. I would take it back to them with the proper carrier info and force them to correct their mistake.
How can i confirm that? Are there markings on the carrier to id it? Part numbers on sale invoice definitely correspond to 3.73 carrier and 4.10 gears. With these shady sloppy bastards wouldnt surprise me. But force? How to force a shameless crook into honesty is beyond my budget for time and bullshit. Theyll just ****ing lie and deny blame. Aint got time and money to sue and thats what it'd take.

Quick Reply: Re-geared now this! Help!