Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-gear Re-grets?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CajunTiger

Dude, I have gotten nowhere in my decision on the very same subject. But I have a 2011 JK Sport with a 6 speed, and as one guy put it, everyone has their own opinions and its usually 50/50. I never could get the right answer I was looking for because everyone is different...and I am not saying that in a bad way, its just different opinions. I have a set of Yukon 4.88's with zip lockers for front & back just waiting to get installed, but have the same issue as you do...what would be better for me? Hell, I don't know, but oneday I will do something and I am gonna like my decision cause I am only gonna do this once!....Happy trails Bro! Good luck in your decision and let me know how it turns out...might use your feedback......
As I said above I run 5.13s and love them. I think your choice to go with the 4.88s is right on point with the 6spd.

If it were my jeep:

6 speed = 4.88
Auto = 5.13 (5.38 if D44 front and rear)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

5.13’s it shall be.. Any suggestions on the gear makers or prices? I guess I’ll need the carrier, too. Since I’m close to 50,000 miles, I assume I should get the Master overhaul kit.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't even think of running anything less than 5:38's with 37's- 40's. actually make the jeep drive able.
If I was never going over 35's, I would probably run 5:13's.

I ran 5:38's in my Dana 30 for over a year with 37's and it held up.
And yes they did make 5:38's for the Dana 30 for a while.
Still have mine sitting in a box.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sargejk
5.13’s it shall be.. Any suggestions on the gear makers or prices? I guess I’ll need the carrier, too. Since I’m close to 50,000 miles, I assume I should get the Master overhaul kit.
IMO, I'd go with Yukon. I have done some researchin and found those to be the best for the money. Spicer is the best but pricey. And if I were you, I would get the overhaul kits also. You will need carriers also. I think I will bite the bullet and get the 4.88's installed and go with 35's, sleeves and eventually "C" gussetts.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sargejk
IIRC, the D30 on a JK has a carrier break at the 3.73 mark, so you shouldn't need a new carrier for the 5.13s. At least I didn't when I moved from 3.73 to 5.13. A master overhaul kit will probably be a good idea. Might as well while the diff is open and the gears are out.

As far as brands, Yukons seems to have an unbeatable rep on the forums. I purchased Motives from my install guy who has lots o experience as shop Forman at 4 wheel parts and now with 10 years under his belt at the dealer. No complaints what so ever with the motives. Seems that most of these gears all come from the same couple manufacturers anyway...just my .02

I paid $1100 total. If you can stay in that range you're getting a good deal

Last edited by janders82; 02-07-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by janders82
IIRC, the D30 on a JK has a carrier break at the 3.73 mark, so you shouldn't need a new carrier for the 5.13s. At least I didn't when I moved from 3.73 to 5.13. A master overhaul kit will probably be a good idea. Might as well while the diff is open and the gears are out.

As far as brands, Yukons seems to have an unbeatable rep on the forums. I purchased Motives from my install guy who has lots o experience as shop Forman at 4 wheel parts and now with 10 years under his belt at the dealer. No complaints what so ever with the motives. Seems that most of these gears all come from the same couple manufacturers anyway...just my .02

I paid $1100 total. If you can stay in that range you're getting a good deal
I got 3.21's so I need carriers. Didn't think about that with him. Thanks for givin him the right info!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Junkie

I got 3.21's so I need carriers.
Just the front.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default gears

Dude, I have gotten nowhere in my decision on the very same subject. But I have a 2011 JK Sport with a 6 speed, and as one guy put it, everyone has their own opinions and its usually 50/50. I never could get the right answer I was looking for because everyone is different...and I am not saying that in a bad way, its just different opinions. I have a set of Yukon 4.88's with zip lockers for front & back just waiting to get installed, but have the same issue as you do...what would be better for me? Hell, I don't know, but oneday I will do something and I am gonna like my decision cause I am only gonna do this once!....Happy trails Bro! Good luck in your decision and let me know how it turns out...might use your feedback......
I have the stock 4.10's in my 2010 rubi. on 35" rubber, my gearing is fine offroad with the rubicon's lower 4 low range, it is acceptable for highway, but I will re-gear to 4.88 when my daughter gets married and quits spending my FUCK YOU money. 4.88's seem to be the way to go with a 6 speed as the overdrive is not as tall as it is in a automatic.

Quick Reply: Re-gear Re-grets?