Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-gear Re-grets?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is just a random question, hopefully not a thread hijacker.

If I wanted to go from stock 3.73 to a 4.88, what would the approximate cost be, and would I have to change out the axles themselves, or just the gears?

One thing I'm a fan of is really low crawl speed. In all my adventures I've wanted for a slower crawl. Is this a good way to slow it down in 4-low without swapping the transfer case?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 09 rubi 4 door that i put 35" km2's and regeared for 5.13 and love the low end grunt and overall improved drivability, however the drop in gas milage was a point or two.

My only problem is that when on the texas highways any speed over 80 mph and i get a driveline vibration due to the increased speed the factory drive shaft is now turning. I have started using the vibration as the jeeps speed limiter! Lol

Last edited by Earth Siege; 02-06-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After your re-geared, have you found that the jeep holds back better going down highway hills than it used to?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sargejk
After your re-geared, have you found that the jeep holds back better going down highway hills than it used to?
Yes. Ten characters
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
I have an 09 rubi 4 door that i put 35" km2's and regeared for 5.13 and love the low end grunt and overall improved drivability, however the drop in gas milage was a point or two.

My only problem is that when on the texas highways any speed over 80 mph and i get a driveline vibration due to the increased speed the factory drive shaft is now turning. I have started using the vibration as the jeeps speed limiter! Lol
That's suspicious as the stock drivelines are almost bulletproof when it comes to vibrations....
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk_sea
This is just a random question, hopefully not a thread hijacker.

If I wanted to go from stock 3.73 to a 4.88, what would the approximate cost be, and would I have to change out the axles themselves, or just the gears?

One thing I'm a fan of is really low crawl speed. In all my adventures I've wanted for a slower crawl. Is this a good way to slow it down in 4-low without swapping the transfer case?
A Rubi Crawler or Atlas transfercase are always going to be better and best $$ spent for doing actual crawling speeds. A typical gear change will run you $900 on the cheap and $2500 on the high. It depends on where your located in the country and how bad you get ripped off.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
so does anyone regret going 4.88s?
Problem with a question like this is you'll get half saying "yes, I regret" and "no, I don't regret". Not going to help you much.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rays0852
If you are going to wheel much I would strongly recommend you consider staying with 4.88 as the ring gear is so small at 5.13. Just sayin.
X2 on that. If your just a mall crawler armor all'r then yea! 513 are awesome if you beat your rig stick with the 488.

Which is what I'm doing in 2 weeks JKU 35's but km also running a super chips

Sent from my i5 using just one thumb and tapatalk

Last edited by Flyingbrian; 02-06-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess this is just goin to come down to a matter of opinion. There are too many Jeeps out there running 4.88s to 5.38s with no problems at all. I feel like you can bust up a set of 4.88s just as easily as 5.13s IMO.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sargejk
At (a hard-to-reach) 70-mph, my ’09 JKU automatic w/3.73’s is taching about 1,800 RPM in overdrive on 33-inch Procomp 305’s. The RPM’s jump to 2,800 with the overdrive turned off.

My biggest complaint is on highways and how the transmission is always dropping out of OD on even the slightest incline. I’m forever turning off the OD. The motor really spins, but at least I get some throttle response.

According to the Gear chart, looks like the 70-mph sweet spot is between 2,400 and 2,500 running 4.88 or 5.13 gears, respectively. I’m strongly considering 5.13 which would work for 33’s or 35’s.

Before I make the commitment, I’m anxious to learn what regrets I may encounter. Will my 15-mpg average mileage suffer, improve, or stay about the same? Will I still lack highway throttle response? Will there be differential whine? Will I still find myself turning off the OD? What else should I expect? I’m sure I’d enjoy the off-road gear reduction.

Would welcome your experiences.
Dude, I have gotten nowhere in my decision on the very same subject. But I have a 2011 JK Sport with a 6 speed, and as one guy put it, everyone has their own opinions and its usually 50/50. I never could get the right answer I was looking for because everyone is different...and I am not saying that in a bad way, its just different opinions. I have a set of Yukon 4.88's with zip lockers for front & back just waiting to get installed, but have the same issue as you do...what would be better for me? Hell, I don't know, but oneday I will do something and I am gonna like my decision cause I am only gonna do this once!....Happy trails Bro! Good luck in your decision and let me know how it turns out...might use your feedback......

Quick Reply: Re-gear Re-grets?