Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-gear/LSD & Lockers, everyone's favorite topics

Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re-gear/LSD & Lockers, everyone's favorite topics

I have a JKU Sahara and use it as my daily driver, with some fun off road.

I plan on making the journey out to Rausch Park on occasion, and eventually Moab, but mostly will use it on the weekends on the beach in Island Beach State Park.

I notice that the esp system drags down on the jeeps forward momentum, seems very apparent to me in the snow and on the sand - am I right?

So.... I am anxious to either put in a locker or lsd in my jeep.

The story continues.....

I currently have a TF leveling kit and am hoping my stock tires wear out quickly. Once they do, I am planning on going with 33 inch tires, most likely Duratracs, but who knows. Please note, I have an automatic tranny with 3.73 gears.

So I don't want to go about my mods in a stupid way, that ends up costing me too much $$$.

Here are my questions -

If I only want to run 33's can I get away with a Superchip's Flashpaq instead of re-gearing?

I was thinking of putting a LSD (Truetrac) in the front (Dana 30), and a selectable locker in the rear at a later date (would get before I ever go to Moab). Is this a dumb move?

So here is the order I was thinking: 1. LSD in front 2. 33's 3. Flashpaq 4. Rear Locker

I hope I am making sense here, and not just rambling.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regear, get a arb in the rear and call it a day
Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you have the cash laying around, it's hard to beat ARB's front and back - but it doesn't really sound like you need them. Get TrueTracs front and back and call it a day.

For the order:
1. Flashpaq
2. Tires
3. Gears/Traction Devices/Gussets/Sleeves

Don't forget to strengthen that D30 if you are planning on Rausch and Moab

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-19-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I put a LSD in the front now and decide to regear and put in a locker in the back later, am I going to be eating a lot of labor costs?

Does it cost a lot to put a lsd in the front?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When you re-gear, they have to pull the axles apart.
When you add lockers, they have to pull the axles apart.
When you add sleeves, they have to pull the axles apart.

So yes, if you add a front locker/LSD, you will be paying labor a second time to re-gear. And a third time to add the sleeves. And a fourth time when you figure out that you didn't gear low enough. And...

For the costs, labor charges will vary quite a bit, and will depend a lot on how much experience your shop has. Some will take a lot longer than others. And the last I looked, a D30 TrueTrac was $390ish. The ARB is $850ish, and will need a compressor/panel/switches/bracket/etc also.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-19-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Re-gear/LSD & Lockers, everyone's favorite topics