Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-gear HOLY S*%t!!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk

Not too sure where you heard that one but it's not true. A gear set up is a gear set up, be it on a vehicle with open diffs, LSD, or lockers.
From the 4x4 shop I got my tires from. He said one with lockers take more time to line up, disassemble, etc. not sure if that's true
Old 10-19-2012, 03:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynomax

I used to be a sales/marketing manager for breweries, man was it cheap to regear back then.

On a side note I have often been told I have never "worked" a day in my life.
I bet a lot of things were "cheap" back then.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forget what I paid but when I regeared my Tj I made a deal with the shop that I would help with the install.

I'll tell you it is not a easy install!! And were I would have stopped and said the measurements are good they just laughed at me. It took us a good 5 hours on the rear and about 4 on the front.

I used to think the cost was crazy but after helping I left a tip
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't cheap out or find someone on Craigslist.

There is an art to doing gears. Have it done properly an you will never issues. Have some shade tree guy do it and you will regret.

Everything needs to be lined up perfect and aligned properly and adjusted right.

$1000 is not bad. Tell them you will pay cash and I'm sure they can adjust it.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by courtsm3
Rears and Gears in Port Kells was who i went to. i heard from lots of people they're the best for diff work.

No i don't plan on doing any lockers, umm possibly a rear eaton e-locker ( other 1k )..... we will see after i get back from work.

my gears were from a local 4x4 shop in chilliwack.
You can also try Enrico since he's closer to your location and around the same price. $900 is a GOOD price up here lol Re-gearing is expensive and sometimes a waste of $ depending on the vehicle. We've been driving Dez' JK with 35s/6spd/3.21 gears for the last year and we've gone all over the US to Moab and 4x4ing up here in BC and never had a problem, but when we move up to 37s we'll regear.

Enrico
Differential Solutions
#16 - 33149 London Avenue
Mission, BC
604-723-8250
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Since your not that far away, why not contact Dave at Northridge & see what he can do for you? And if you get him for a Saturday install let me know & we can show you around while your here
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

If you have a Rubicon, and use someone who is not familar with JK's, there is a 99.99999% chance that they are going to mess up your rear e-locker in some way. Most likely it will be mounting the sensor backwards which is an easy fix but others have had their lockers broken completely. And at about $1200 to replace, you better hope the shop will pay for that.

Here in the Northeast, $500 per axle is going rate. I "helped" my brother in law regear his Sahara a few months ago and it was a HUGE job. we had a certified mechanic helping us out that has done a number of gear installs but doing it with axles still on the Jeep and the Jeep on jack stands creates a lot of delays. Plus, someone metioned crush sleeves....The rear crush sleever would not go for us. We used breaker bars, both cordless and air impact wrenches, pinion wrenches and nothing worked. What finally worked was a 3/4" ratchet and 48" pipe wrench. Apparently you need upwards of 500+ foot pounds of pressure to get the sleeve to start.

The entire job was spread out over 3 days so he was without a daily driver during that time.

So it can be done but make sure you have all the right tools (that is where the mechanic helped big time), have plenty of patience and time and recheck everything a million times.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I paid $350 for labor, but provided the gear oil myself. Plus add on gears and master install kits.
He would charge $500 without supplying the oil.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by themickeyd
Since your not that far away, why not contact Dave at Northridge & see what he can do for you? And if you get him for a Saturday install let me know & we can show you around while your here

thats actually not a bad idea! where a bouts are you and wheres Northridge in washington ?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by courtsm3
thats actually not a bad idea! where a bouts are you and wheres Northridge in washington ?
Northridge is on the west side of Puget Sound directly across from Seattle in a town called Silverdale (you'll see it on Washington State Hwy 3 just north of Bremerton. I live south of there about 40 minutes in the Tacoma area. I've been up to Northridge a couple of times, they have a great shop.

Quick Reply: Re-gear HOLY S*%t!!