Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-enforcing axle question

Old 07-01-2015, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GreatWhite JK
honestly I wouldn't do anything to it... You are not going to hurt your housing unless you are rock bouncing or bombing though the desert. But if you like/can weld go truss and don't look back.
Thank you. I'm doing axles, re-gearing, ball joints, brake upgrade, c-gussets, and powdercoating the whole thing so it made sense to reinforce it while it's all out. Better to have it and not need it kinda thing. I own a machine shop/welding shop so it won't be a big deal at all to truss it if that offers a stronger alternative to sleeving. Thank you GreatWhite and thank you to all the members on here. You guys are always willing to help and it is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi
Better to have it and not need it kinda thing.
People are bending C's and shattering housings hitting potholes (there are pics of shattered housings with sleeves and trusses), others report they are fine running rocks with no reinforcement. Absolutely no one can say which group any particular jeep will belong to. So your thought is a good one. If you have the skills, do it just for the peace of mind. May as well go ahead and do both the sleeves and truss, and look at beefing the trackbar mounts as well. And ca skids. And ...
Old 07-01-2015, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi
Thank you. I'm doing axles, re-gearing, ball joints, brake upgrade, c-gussets, and powdercoating the whole thing so it made sense to reinforce it while it's all out. Better to have it and not need it kinda thing. I own a machine shop/welding shop so it won't be a big deal at all to truss it if that offers a stronger alternative to sleeving. Thank you GreatWhite and thank you to all the members on here. You guys are always willing to help and it is greatly appreciated.
No problem. (under those circumstances) A truss sounds like a no brainier.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent the money to reinforce my 30 with a full Artec Truss kit with C-gussets . I also put truetracs front and rear. I am not a hard wheeler; occasional trails, deer hunting, beach trips, camping trips and mountain trips. I really don't rock crawl so for my intended purpose, this fit my needs just fine. I think the question is what do want to spend for your intended purpose/peace of mind?

Quick Reply: Re-enforcing axle question