Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RE 3.5" Sport Lift / Alignment Advice

Old 06-01-2017, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by austin160
Also, Firestone offers lifetime alignments for less than 200$. A good option if you are like me and mess with suspension settings to get them just right, or just to get it checked after a hard weekend of wheeling.
I'd be surprised if Firestone is going to mess with the caster. Their offer is more likely oriented at vehicles that can adjust caster via the ball joints.

OP - As others have stated the middle hole is a recommendation and starting point. I'm betting your jeep is light and so you've gotten more than 3.5" of lift, hence the 2.9 degree caster.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I'd be surprised if Firestone is going to mess with the caster. Their offer is more likely oriented at vehicles that can adjust caster via the ball joints.
I paid $140 for a lifetime alignment with Firestone a few years back. I've only been in a couple times, but it's already paid for itself. I realize they are only adjusting my toe-in and recentering my steering wheel just as on a stock vehicle, but I've never had great success doing the at home alignment myself. I've changed up tie rods a couple times so it's basically paid for itself already....not to mention it's a nice confirmation that I have my adjustable arms where I want em. As Jedg highlights, you can't really expect them to make caster adjustments, but at least you know if you have to go home and make some adjustments yourself. Confirmed also that my measurements with my angle finder were relatively close as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=jedg;4294236]I'd be surprised if Firestone is going to mess with the caster. Their offer is more likely oriented at vehicles that can adjust caster via the ball joints.

They did with mine. I told them what I wanted done.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Asked about that lifetime deal at Firestone shops in both Colorado and Texas, they would not touch my adjustable arms.

The Colorado location did offer to adjust them on an hourly basis, (he guessed 4-5 hours at a minimum, because his 4x4 'expert' had no clue what he was doing.) And the Texas shop said that anything over a 33" was too big for their machine.

Guess it just goes to show that individual locations can and will do things their own way...
Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Asked about that lifetime deal at Firestone shops in both Colorado and Texas, they would not touch my adjustable arms.

The Colorado location did offer to adjust them on an hourly basis, (he guessed 4-5 hours at a minimum, because his 4x4 'expert' had no clue what he was doing.) And the Texas shop said that anything over a 33" was too big for their machine.

Guess it just goes to show that individual locations can and will do things their own way...
I would agree that they seem to differ by location. Old buddy was told his 37" trail grapplers were too big for the machine at one location. a 2nd location told him they were too big but they'd give it a "best efforts" try. The location by me has never said anything about it. I have the same 37" trail grapplers. Long time ago they said they'd adjust arms, but it would be an extra fee. I've only ever had them adjust my toe in, and have done anything with the arms myself, but still nice to have confirmation of the print out.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, my local Firestone wouldnt touch my Jeep because they didnt want to scratch my wheels, they supposedly lost the rubber protective covers. They were my first choice. I took it to a newer shop that has a next gen rack that is extremely accurate and they gave me the before results. Secondly, I didnt do the Lifetime at Firestone because I plan on selling the Jeep next year and getting another one with the projected diesel option. As far as the middle hole thing, I do plan on moving it down a notch, then taking it back after I install the RE HS Kit and have them align it as best they can. Just wanted some advice from the experts here. Im a Heavy Aircraft Mechanic (C17A) by trade so adhereing to specific manufacturing instructions to the letter is burned into my brain... thus the reason I asked first before making an informed decision. Thanks for the great advice, Ill keep yall posted!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Buckeye76SC
Yea, my local Firestone wouldnt touch my Jeep because they didnt want to scratch my wheels, they supposedly lost the rubber protective covers. They were my first choice. I took it to a newer shop that has a next gen rack that is extremely accurate and they gave me the before results. Secondly, I didnt do the Lifetime at Firestone because I plan on selling the Jeep next year and getting another one with the projected diesel option. As far as the middle hole thing, I do plan on moving it down a notch, then taking it back after I install the RE HS Kit and have them align it as best they can. Just wanted some advice from the experts here. Im a Heavy Aircraft Mechanic (C17A) by trade so adhereing to specific manufacturing instructions to the letter is burned into my brain... thus the reason I asked first before making an informed decision. Thanks for the great advice, Ill keep yall posted!
Nothing is going to change when you install the high steer kit. You're not going to be touching your tie rod, so the toe-in won't change at all. When you install the new drag link end for the flip, your steering wheel will get off a bit, but that is a simple adjustment that you can set at home.....assuming you know what a straight steering wheel looks like... LOL. There's no need to go back and get another alignment after doing the high steer kit. You may need to adjust your track bar length a bit when mounting to the raised axle side bracket the kit will use, but that's not something the alignment shop would do anyhow. You already know the control arms need to move to the last hole to increase your caster. After doing that you'll be out of adjustment options, so getting a new scan would only be for your own reference purposes.....nothing left to adjust.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol... just installing the HS Kit to tighten up my steering feedback a tad. Thanks for the advice. 👊
Old 06-01-2017, 05:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Buckeye76SC
Lol... just installing the HS Kit to tighten up my steering feedback a tad. Thanks for the advice. 👊
Right. I just saw you saying you were gonna take it back for another alignment after that install. My point was just that wasn't necessary.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Helped someone install this same lift yesterday and thought of this post. We installed his upper arms in the middle hole as RE suggested. When done, I measured ~4* caster with my angle finder (which has been pretty accurate reading caster on my jeep). Waiting on official results from alignment shop. He has a steel bumper and a which like you so would think comparable weight. Only difference being 3.8L vs your 3.6L. That is strange that your caster was pretty low using the middle hole.

Quick Reply: RE 3.5" Sport Lift / Alignment Advice