Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RCV axles

Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV axles

I have read on other forums that you can over steer these axles causing a clicking sound and premature wear and that you should adjust the steering stops to 42 degrees. Any current info on this since the forum threads were several years old? Did RCV address this issue? Has anyone ran these without adjusting the steering stops with no clicking noise? Any info would be great before I pull the trigger on these next week. Thanks!

sent from here to there
Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I think these are guaranteed for life either way
Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

I believe they are only covered for breaking, I do not think the CV joint is covered unless it breaks. Just want to get some info on this potential problem before I find out the hard way.

sent from here to there
Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets
I believe they are only covered for breaking, I do not think the CV joint is covered unless it breaks. Just want to get some info on this potential problem before I find out the hard way.

sent from here to there
Clicking is usually a star cage going bad.

42 is the number they use.... odd as it was 45 when I bought the first set a few years back. They will bitch and complain if you are at 45, but will still warranty the items if they break.

I've broken three RCV axles so far on the d44, they are not as bullet proof as one is lead to believe. Each and everytime, a quick call to RCV had new ones in the mail that same day, so their warranty works well. Then... when I upgraded to a 60, I again purchased them and had a ton of issues with the order, yet I'd recommend them in a second and would buy again.... so that should say something after the many breaks and the order issues this last time around.

Lets see if 300M can stand up to me this time around.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On stock JK axles to will not need to modify anything to run rcv's. Abendx what size tires did you break three sets on? We have only had one warranty claim with rcv's for the jk that I can remember so we have had very good luck with them
Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

That's what I have read as well. What is the stock degree steering at? Would it make a huge difference in my turning radius if I adjusted it to 42 degrees? Thanks for the info.

sent from here to there
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
On stock JK axles to will not need to modify anything to run rcv's. Abendx what size tires did you break three sets on? We have only had one warranty claim with rcv's for the jk that I can remember so we have had very good luck with them
37s all three times.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ABENDX
37s all three times.
Yikes! I better not wheel hard! I got RCVs front and rear with my 37s!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-17-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABENDX
37s all three times.
Is that your rig in your avatar? It's bad ass, but looks like it weighs about 7000 lbs. that would be a big contributing factor to breakage in your case...if that is your case.

It also looks like something that isn't wheeled gently
Old 11-17-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are we talking RCV AXLE SHAFTS???
I have those(RCV AXLE SHAFTS) in my PR44 up front with Dynatrac ball joints , Reid knuckles , ARB air locker. I'm currently on 35" tires about to pull the trigger on 37" Goodyear MTR's w Kevlar. Should I be thinking twice now? I was told my front end build could easily handle 37's or do I have to worry about my RCV axle shafts busting? Thx

Quick Reply: RCV axles