Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RC stinger on a stock bumper?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump wanna see this??
Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

For those who want to see this here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111226_201159.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	254882  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default an old thread but......

I am interested in doing this, so my question is...does this stinger bolt up directly to factory frame rail holes, same holes that the front hooks bolt up to? Any drilling? is it flemsy due to the fact the top back part of the stinger brace isn't attached to anything, or is it? could I get closer pics of this please. Looks as if you only bolted 4 out of the 8 holes, 2 on each side correct? If I did this it would be mainly cosmetic but just in case I would like it to be strong as well, enough to pull me a certain way if I get in a jam! Thanks!!

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by jeepchief; 06-20-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepchief
I am interested in doing this, so my question is...does this stinger bolt up directly to factory frame rail holes, same holes that the front hooks bolt up to? Any drilling? is it flemsy due to the fact the top back part of the stinger brace isn't attached to anything, or is it? could I get closer pics of this please. Looks as if you only bolted 4 out of the 8 holes, 2 on each side correct? If I did this it would be mainly cosmetic but just in case I would like it to be strong as well, enough to pull me a certain way if I get in a jam! Thanks!!

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!
Getting a stinger doesn't mean you can/should use it to pull you out when you're stuck. The last thing you want is to actually use a stinger to be pulled out. Proper mounts at frame level are the best way to do a winch/pull if stuck. This stinger does look like it's only held on by 4 bolts though as it appears to be wider than the frame. You have a friend who can weld, it'd be easy enough to cut the middle section out 4-5" to bring the 4 bolt holes into alignment though to make it more sturdy.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otservice

Getting a stinger doesn't mean you can/should use it to pull you out when you're stuck. The last thing you want is to actually use a stinger to be pulled out. Proper mounts at frame level are the best way to do a winch/pull if stuck.
Yes, I know this but a stinger can be used to pull you in certain situations like when you are off camber and is being used as a leverage type deal. Not my first rodeo. Seen it done many times. I didn't ask for a lecture....thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepchief
Yes, I know this but a stinger can be used to pull you in certain situations like when you are off camber and is being used as a leverage type deal. Not my first rodeo. Seen it done many times. I didn't ask for a lecture....thanks
Not a lecture and no offense intended, so I'll let the attitude slide

There's a lot of people on here who are new to offroading and have no idea what to do and what not to do, so it's hard to know who here has any experience or none. Judging by the increase in posts asking very simple questions on this forum it appears there's more and more beginners. I've seen a few stingers break under load due to angles and seen suspension/axles break under awkward/improper pulls. Some people don't know so it was only advice, but you obvious know.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otservice

Not a lecture and no offense intended, so I'll let the attitude slide

There's a lot of people on here who are new to offroading and have no idea what to do and what not to do, so it's hard to know who here has any experience or none. Judging by the increase in posts asking very simple questions on this forum it appears there's more and more beginners. I've seen a few stingers break under load due to angles and seen suspension/axles break under awkward/improper pulls. Some people don't know so it was only advice, but you obvious know.
No attitude intended on my part....sometimes it just gets old when people on here lecture and whatnot when they don't know the application. But yes, there are a lot of newbies and its good for them to know right and wrong. I just wanted to know more about this setup. Like I said...its mainly for the look on my end. Now if I can only find the right bolts for it. ;-)

Quick Reply: RC stinger on a stock bumper?