Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RC Lift Spring Sag

Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Lift Spring Sag

So I'm in the market for a Rough Country 3.5 or 4 inch lift and though I've read numerous posts from people saying not to buy them, I've also read many positive reviews from those who do have them. My needs and budget seem to point to RC as the best value however I have had one concern which seems to be a problem prevalent with their coils..Sagging.

I've contacted RC and they've told me they switched from a progressive coil to a new one about a year ago which has stopped the sagging issue. I've seen a few forum posters mention the same thing but my question is...

Anyone with a RC lift (less than a year old), have you noticed sag in the springs? I have a new front bumper, winch, rear bumper and tire carrier so the added weight will only exasperate the problem if the sagging issue still exists. If they've fixed the issue then Ill likely go ahead and purchase.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tapiozona
So I'm in the market for a Rough Country 3.5 or 4 inch lift and though I've read numerous posts from people saying not to buy them, I've also read many positive reviews from those who do have them. My needs and budget seem to point to RC as the best value however I have had one concern which seems to be a problem prevalent with their coils..Sagging.

I've contacted RC and they've told me they switched from a progressive coil to a new one about a year ago which has stopped the sagging issue. I've seen a few forum posters mention the same thing but my question is...
cvAnyone with a RC lift (less than a year old), have you noticed sag in the springs? I have a new front bumper, winch, rear bumper and tire carrier so the added weight will only exasperate the problem if the sagging issue still exists. If they've fixed the issue then Ill likely go ahead and purchase.

Thanks!
I had issues with mine and ended up going to a new set of Teraflex. I got 1 new set of replacement springs from RC and still had issues with the front and a lot of nose dive under braking. There fix was a suggestion of adding a 3/4 spacer to the front..
Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

I just took off my RC on monday and put on RK coils. Yes they will sag and you will not be happy. If budget is the problem I suggest wait and save or you will have to spend twice. Believe me I spent twice.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sahara4me
I had issues with mine and ended up going to a new set of Teraflex. I got 1 new set of replacement springs from RC and still had issues with the front and a lot of nose dive under braking. There fix was a suggestion of adding a 3/4 spacer to the front..
Teraflex nor a 3/4" spacer are the correct fix. Your TF coils will likely sag as well, but Joe at TF is dedicated to helping get replacement coils out to people.

OP- you can certainly try the RC coils if they really fit your budget and if they sag then have RC warrantee them and replace them for you. All you'll be out is your time to replace them. It's unlikely that you'll find someone who has had the coils less than a year and noticed the sag. They may be on the verge of the start of the sag.

I wish you the best of luck with your lift choice. Also, I'm not saying the RC or TF coils are terrible for sagging because the factory coils do it as well. The difference is that the RC and TF are designed for 'lift' so they should be more resilient than they are.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapiozona
and purchase.
RC isnt charging you for the new springs are they? the kit should have a lifetime warranty

Edit: disregard, misread and thought you already had the kit

Last edited by Croce; 02-19-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All coils will sag eventually at different rates than others. The big problem is consistently making coils that will break in at the same rate. I often think if its the type of metal in cheaper springs that fail??
Old 02-19-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Well if I'm guaranteed to have to purchase new springs it makes sense to move up a notch. That would likely bring me to the Procomp Stage 1 4" lift followed by the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift. Will either of those fare better when it comes to sagging. Procomp seems to be heavily dis-liked much like RC and most other budget lifts but the Rubicon Express seem to get rather positive reviews relative to their price.

I can always spend more but I really need to set a limit on what I spend with my jeep because we're in the process of a home remodel which is killing my bank account. Drive shafts, c-gussets, axle sleeves, tires, and wheels are going to be brutal so my budget is pretty much maxed at 800ish and even that's a long stretch (love to spend 5 or 6).
Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

To be where you want to be price wise, stick with a 2.5" quality lift and add a body lift later. The taller lifts will require extra components ($$$$).

Have you read "my thoughts on lifts" by dirtman? I'm curious why you're looking for a taller lift. I advocate taller lifts but you've got to know there's serious money involved with them. "Taller" being 3.5"+, IMO.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls
To be where you want to be price wise, stick with a 2.5" quality lift and add a body lift later. The taller lifts will require extra components ($$$$).

Have you read "my thoughts on lifts" by dirtman? I'm curious why you're looking for a taller lift. I advocate taller lifts but you've got to know there's serious money involved with them. "Taller" being 3.5"+, IMO.
I did. Fantastic post and helped a ton understanding the main aspects of what makes up a lift.
The main reason I'm looking to go bigger than 2.5 is that I'm going to run 37's. I really don't need that big of a tire and honestly its mostly because they look fun. I had 35's on my previous jeep and 34's on my FJ and with this new jeep I want it to be different. The vehicle isn't a daily driver but I also won't be taking it to moab. Local trails and some rock would be the extent of my use so I feel the setup I'm going with should work well for me. I'm also not a huge fan of body lifts because I hate the space it creates. My previous jeep had 1.5 inches and I could never get past how it looked.

Quick Reply: RC Lift Spring Sag