Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RC 3.5 springs vs. EVO Plush Ride Springs

Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC 3.5 springs vs. EVO Plush Ride Springs

I'm going into mile 4k on my RC 3.5 inch series 2 suspension and I still think it's the best $500 system money can buy. But I'm paranoid because everyone says it sags. I've measured mine and at the 4k mark, I lost 0.5 inches of lift front and rear compared to the time of install.

My first question is: is 0.5mm of sag normal? Should I expect more? This question goes out to mainly the guys who bought the more expensive kits, like Teraflex, AEV, RK or the like. What are you at for sag and at how many miles?

And second, suppose that my cheapo RC springs sag more and I get PO'ed, I was thinking of upgrading to the EVO plush ride 4 inch springs. I know there have been a few threads on those springs already but has anyone owned them for a lengthy amount of time (say 10k miles or more) and how much sag did you notice? Also, how is the plush spring's ride compared to more "normal" springs? I know it's more comfortable, but it's awesome hearing it again because the EVO's are quickly making it to the top of my future mods list.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

we've run a set of the EVO plush ride coils for a long time and, once they settled after installation, we did not see any additional loss of height in the long term. in total, we saw about a 3.5"+ of lift with our EVO coils but then, we had heavy bumpers, winch and heavy toyo on a heavy walker evans bead lock spare. by far, these were the most comfortable coils we've run but, because they are so plush, we did see them sag under the weight of a lot of heavy gear. once unloaded, the ride height was restored. just something you should be aware of.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
we've run a set of the EVO plush ride coils for a long time and, once they settled after installation, we did not see any additional loss of height in the long term. in total, we saw about a 3.5"+ of lift with our EVO coils but then, we had heavy bumpers, winch and heavy toyo on a heavy walker evans bead lock spare. by far, these were the most comfortable coils we've run but, because they are so plush, we did see them sag under the weight of a lot of heavy gear. once unloaded, the ride height was restored. just something you should be aware of.
Thanks WOL. I'm guessing heavy gear as in removable gear like camping equipment and such?

I'm a little concerned about it sagging too much while towing. I don't tow much but I don't want to look like the guy in a Ford Taurus pulling a U-Haul trailer (we've all seen that before LOL).

In any case I usually run around with just me inside so the EVO's make plenty of sense to me. So there, top of the list they go!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

1/2" of settling is normal, especially with your bumpers. You could always throw in some spacers. I would give it time. If it turns into a 1" say then yeah I would probably do something about it
Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
1/2" of settling is normal, especially with your bumpers. You could always throw in some spacers. I would give it time. If it turns into a 1" say then yeah I would probably do something about it
Thanks Ryan. That's what I thought. But all the chatter about RC got me paranoid. I still really like my setup, so at most I'll be keeping an eye on those springs!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris

Thanks Ryan. That's what I thought. But all the chatter about RC got me paranoid. I still really like my setup, so at most I'll be keeping an eye on those springs!
The good thing about RC is they really stand behind their product and try and make things right. If for some reason they do end up sagging excessively I would almost call them ans have them send you the 4" springs. Hopefully it won't get to that though
Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

The good thing about RC is they really stand behind their product and try and make things right. If for some reason they do end up sagging excessively I would almost call them ans have them send you the 4" springs. Hopefully it won't get to that though
That's awesome! I'll definitely take that route first.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

This is very true. Best customer service I have ever seen.. REALLY

Quick Reply: RC 3.5 springs vs. EVO Plush Ride Springs