Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RC 3.25'' or TF 2.5''?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I have the RC 2.5 BB with shocks. The steering, with 33s, was flighty. I added the front LCAs a couple months later and dramatically improved the steering feel by being able to dial in the caster. I would think with 35s that the front LCAs are even more necessary. It's okay to drive it without, but I think when you feel the flightiness you'll decide you need them. As for the trackbars: I currently don't have, but my axles shifted only very slightly. However, that's a 2.5" front, 2.0" rear lift. The consensus is that you'll get more than 2.5" of lift with the TF kit (until you sag it down with bumpers, winch, etc, I suppose. LOL). More lift means more axle shift. I plan to upgrade to the TF 2.5" coil lift, and to include the trackbars at the time. David, at Northridge4x4, can expect my order early next year. My son may go to Oklahoma University, but my money goes to David at Northridge4x4!

Mark is correct I got just over 3" with my TF 2.5 my axle in the front was shifted to the drivers side about .5" not a big deal but with a front adj track bar you can center the axle. The bracket in the rear will center the axle for you I just did not want to use it (personal preference). The TF trackbars are twice as thick as the OEM's so since I bought mine just as a toy to offroad I wanted to go with the beefier parts to keep from breaking stuff. As far as flightyness the front LCA's will help with that by being able to dial in the castor. You will be able to drive it without the LCA's but you and your GF will not like it. Whatever you decide do not get cam bolts to adjust the caster in the front. I also got my tires a Discount Tire and they purchaesd my take offs from me so that reduce my total spend on tires. Pm or call me and we can talk. Cell 281-636-4042.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Talley
So after hours more reading and your comments we have decided on the 2.5'' TeraFlex coil lift with 17'' Pro Comp Wheels and 35'' BFG KM2's.

The only question I still have is, is that kit totally complete or do I have to have something else?

Ive read plenty of threads and it just seems confusing with some getting control arms and track bars. From what I can tell it seems complete with just using the brackets and such, correct? Budgeting $3,000 for everything.:
Once again, only you can decide how complete any kit is. In the faq's, there is a list of 'suggested' components for a 3" lift. Compare that to what is in the kit you are looking at. Do some homework for yourself and form your own opinion on whether or not you need anything else. Those coils will put you in the 3-3.5" range. Look at longer links front and back, brake lines or brackets, trackbars or brackets, control arms, bumpstops, etc. And pay attention to the notes in the faq's about the possibility of needing new driveshafts...
Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ
... Who ever said that about needing control arms more with 35s than 33s didn't make a lick of sense. Your suspension height changes the angles of control arms and drive shafts. Your tires raise the overall height of the axle over the ground an do not effect anything as far as angles are concerned. ...
Bigger tires will have more flex in the sidewalls. A larger contact patch will also lend itself to more squirelness of the feel of the road. That makes plenty of sense, to me anyway.

As far as how much lift he needs: It's irrelevant whether he off-roads 100% of the time, or 1% of the time. It's the degree of difficulty of off-roading he does. I have a 2.5" RC lift, without coils, and I've kept up with folks with larger tires and lifts. This is on pretty tough stuff, like Poison Spider Mesa in Moab. So your point that a smaller lift would do the job for him is well-taken. However, don't say it was the folks who answered OP's question (reread the thread title, if you please) who are trying to talk him into a larger lift. He asks about two specific lifts, and we're answering his questions about those two lifts.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-15-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

I appreciate everybodys input. Yes I did read your post, But you can see how I might be somewhat confused as some state that I would need controls arms and etc and then you state that I dont and you state that she would need gears and then plenty others are stock with the same lift and tire setup.

We would just like to buy everything at once that we need and have a shop put it on and not really have to worry about anything. I also got a good heads up on a semi local independent shop that does alot of jeep work.

Thanks again guys for all the input!

I think these guys are talking you into more lift than you need and more headaches than you want.

Did you read my post at all??

I have lifted two TJs and now my JK and I'm here to tell you that if you go TF you're going overkill for a jeep that YOU stated is gonna be on road 90% of the time.

2.5" lift fromthem is like 3.5" and is going to put you in range for control arms, track bars, drive shafts ect.

I don't know why everyone makes people think they nee the biggest baddest lift kit every single time. I have been running the 2.5" RC kit for 10k miles now with no track bars or brackets and no control arms. I think that at this height they are a waste of money. The information here is so skewed.

Who ever said that about needing control arms more with 35s than 33s didn't make a lick of sense. Your suspension height changes the angles of control arms and drive shafts. Your tires raise the overall height of the axle over the ground an do not effect anything as far as angles are concerned.

I think that you're being lead down the wrong oath for your purpose. You can acheive your goal for $1500 before wheels if you don't get overkill happy.

I'm probably wasting my breath here but I feel better having said that.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Just FYI, We have a couple of new configurations of our 2.5" kit

Basic Kit: spacers, shock ext and brakeline ext brackets for $139

Mid Kit: spacers, shock ext, brakeline ext brackets, rear track-bar bracket and ext sway bar links for $179

Premium Kit: Spacers, brakelin ext brackets, rear track-bar bracket, ext sway bar links and (4) 2.2 performance shocks for $349

RC components are covered by our lifetime warranty.
60 day satisfaction guarantee or you can return it for 100% refund.
3 day or less shipping to anywhere in the US
Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Talley
I appreciate everybodys input. Yes I did read your post, But you can see how I might be somewhat confused as some state that I would need controls arms and etc and then you state that I dont and you state that she would need gears and then plenty others are stock with the same lift and tire setup.
Control arms and gears are very similar in one respect. People that don't have them, and who don't want to buy them, will talk themselves into believing that their vehicle drives fine as is. When you go up over 3", (which all of the lifts you are looking at will do) your caster will be very low. Lift + stock control arms = low caster. You can't argue that point. Search around anywhere on the internet, on this site, talk to your install shop, whoever. Ask what having low caster will do to your handling. Will it be driveable? Yes. Will you enjoy driving it? Debateable. Would I want my significant other driving on a 3+" lift with no caster correction? Only if I had a nice insurance policy on her... (it really isn't as bad as I try to make it sound, but the handling difference is very very noticeable)

As far as gears go. Open the Faq's, as has been suggested a few times. Look at the chart in the drivetrain area. You know what your/her rpm's are now. You know how much power it has now. Check what the rpm's will be with your stock gears and 35" tires. Compare that to where you are now, and you'll see why so many want to re-gear for 35+" tires.

Like I said a few times now, it is all preference. Learn what each component does for you. Get an idea of what handling characteristics you/she are willing to live with. Find a lift that has the components you want, and go with it. Drive the JK. See how it handles. If it is too flighty, has too much bumpsteer, then think about getting a set of control arms. Same with the tires. If she hates the lack of power with 35's, consider re-gearing. Nothing says you have to do it all right away, just take everyones advice for what it is. Advice based on their particular situation and needs. You/she need to decide for yourselves...

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-15-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rough Country
Just FYI, We have a couple of new configurations of our 2.5" kit
Do you plan on offering an upgraded kit with coils and shock adapters?

Also, I have an Unlimited Rubicon. I see how some 2.5" kits result in 3"+. Are you kits a true 2.5" lift? Last, if running stock wheels & tires, are spacers required?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 12-16-2009, 04:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... My advice is simply this: you don't have to buy Tera Flex, Rough Country, or any of the mentioned kits to drive down the road well. You also don't have to put track bars, control arms, or a lift tall enough to affect drivelines in order to run 35" tires. ...
I think that you and I are in what, back when I before I retired from my life after USAF as an engineer, we used to call a violent agreement.

The RC 2.5" BB is perfectly serviceable, even in its most basic configuration (I did add brake line extensions in the form of mending brackets from a local hardware store for a dollar).

If, like me, OP doesn't like the flightiness he'll experience in the steering after installing any of these lifts, he can add front LCAs to fix this. Others, not me, have commented on JK-Forum in the past, that going to 35s makes the flightiness even more pronounced. That appears to be the only point on which you (MarcusRT) and I disagree. It's really not worth arguing because OP will either decide he can live with the weak steering feel caused by the lift, or he'll want to fix it. It is perfectly safe to wait until after the lift to decide on this additional install.

As for adjustable trackbars: He can a wait until after the lift to decide if the axle shift and the measures that may have been included with his lift (e.g., relocation bracket) are satisfactory. I've never bothered to add either after installing a 2.5" RC BB and I'm okay to leave it that way until I lift it higher. Then, I've decided to install adjustable trackbars when I do the TF 2.5" coil lift because I don't want to risk the damage that others have experienced from the relocation brackets.

As for gears (which I didn't comment on before): I find that 33s and 4.10 gears with my six speed are barely acceptable. I definitely would not go to 35s until I regeared. Anecdotal reasoning: TORN and I run a lot together. He has an '07 Rubi two-door on 35s (versus my four door on 33s). During our run out to Easter Jeep Safari he had to continually refill with gas while I was still at half a tank. Yes, he does have a smaller tank, but the primary reason was because he was always running a gear or two lower than me to keep up speed in the high winds we experienced (it was legendary; talk to anyone who headed out there mid-week), and the hills. He has since regeared to 4.88s, so I'll be interested in how this compares to my Jeep the next time we make a lengthy run. Meanwhile, for me, I will not install 35s until I make a number of upgrades to my Jeep, including a proper way to store the spare, upgrades to the D30 axle, and regearing. But, that's my decision. There are plenty of folks here on JK-Forum who are running 35s on little more than a stock JK with riduculous gearing, and claim to be happy with the results.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

I appreciate all the helpful info guys!

Man, I thought all she would need was a lift kit , 17'' wheels, and 35'' tires..........
Now after all your suggestions and reading looks like we are getting the 2.5 TF coil lift, adjustable control arms, adjustable track bar, wheels and tires, and gears on top of all of that. Luckily the sponsors here have some good deals going on thru the end of the month!

She just wants to get it all done at once and have a nice Jeep to pick up from the shop that looks damn good and drives well.