Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RC 3.25'' or TF 2.5''?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC 3.25'' or TF 2.5''?

Hello all, Great site with tons info, overwhelming almost.....been reading since yesterday afternoon

So gf's got a '07 2dr and wants to run some BFG Mud 35's on 17'' wheels. It see's 98% city time and light trails a few times year.

1. So should I get the RC 3.25'' coil and spacer lift or TF 2.5'' coil or BB lift witch adapters?

2. What else, if anything would I need? Spacers?

Im leaning toward the 3.25'' spring and spacer RC lift....Help me out guys!

3.25 '' RC - Price: $379.95!
Kit Contents:
Front: 2.5" lifted progressive rate coil springs and 0.75" coil spacers, and brake line brackets.
Rear: 2.5" lifted progressive rate coil springs, 0.75" coil spacers, track bar bracket, sway-bar links, and brake line brackets.
Shocks: (4) High Performance 2.2 series shocks

Last edited by Talley; 12-14-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford it, its better to go with a coil lift instead of a BB.

The 2.5" TF lift kit is probably the most popular kit in that lift range in this forum which is probably a testament to its quality and value.

The TF 2.5" will provide plenty of clearance for the BFG 35s.

The 4" of lift generated by the RC + the spacers will push into the world of driveshaft mods, particularly on the 2dr.
Since you seem budge conscious that may not be direction you want to go in.

TF has great customer service and with so many owners of this lift in this forum you will get plenty of feedback and support.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Before you decide on a specific lift, I would suggest you and your gf sit down and browse through the FAQ's at the top of this section. Start with this one in the suspension area:
Q: What are all the components that I will need with a 3" lift?
(those 2.5" TF coils give 3-3.5" of lift. So for either lift, pay attention to the statements concerning new driveshafts)

Get an idea of:

-The backspace needed to run wider tires without rubbing. (new rims or adding wheel spacers)
-What adding a lift will do to your caster. (Cams, new fixed control arms, or preferably, a set of adjustable control arms)
-How to correct your axles being shifted to the sides. (trackbar brackets or adjustable trackbars)
-Swaybars not being level anymore. (new longer links or adjustable links)
-Brake lines that are stretched tight. (brackets or new lines)
Etc...

All lift are not created equal. Just because the advertisement tells you that it is complete, and that you will not need anything else, does not mean that it is true...

Im leaning toward the 3.25'' spring and spacer RC lift....Help me out guys!
Do a quick search, Title only, on Rough Country or RC lift, or anything similar. There are quite a few threads going. Look at both the 2.5" and the 3.25" lifts, as they use the same coils. I do not have an RC lift, so no experience, but do some research to see why I'm suggesting this...

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-14-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses guys! Been reading most the day. I spoke with the local 4WD store, he quoted me a 2.5'' Pro Comp lift with shocks installed at $895 and 35x12.50x17 BFG KM2's at $250 a piece. How do this sound?

I know most are against paying someone to install it but that is what she wants as Im not very mechanically inclined. She pretty much is budgeting $3000 for the lift, 5 x 35 BFG KM2's with 5 wheels and installation. Do-able correct?

2.5" Tuned Suspension System by Pro Comp $504.99
* 2007-09 JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited
* Heavy duty rear track bar brace
* Shocks Included - ES9000
* Allows use of 35" x 12.50" tires, on wheels up to 9" wide with up to 4.75" of backspacing

These easy to install systems feature Tuned front and rear coil springs, exclusive heavy duty rear track bar brace, and high quality hardware to improve the vehicle’s ride and handling over all road surfaces. These systems are available with either MX6 adjustable shocks to provide superior flexibility and off road handling or ES9000 shock absorbers to deliver a factory ride quality. 2.5" of lift allows use of 35" x 12.50" tires, on wheels up to 9" wide with up to 4.75" of backspacing.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Again, look at the list of suggested components, then compare it to what comes with that kit.

Coils, shocks, rear trackbar bracket, right?

So what is missing? How will it handle without any/all of those other components? After paying $900 for a lift, which ones will she find out she actually needs to add???

Just another suggestion, but look past the cheap price tags and consider the actual components...
Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Go with the TF 2.5 Coil and Shocks. Do not go cheap on this you will regret it. I lived in Spring outside of Houston and you can come over and I will help you install it for free. Look at my pics and check out the TF 2.5. I went with the TF 2.5 coils and shocks, front and rear ADJ trackbars, and front LCA's from Dave at Northridge for $1350 shipped. Took about 6 hours to install and was super easy.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Default Rc 2.5 bb is on sale

i got the 2.5 bb from rc and it went on easy and was only 140.00 plus rear trac bar adj, and all together it cost me 250 with shipping and you can easily run 35's no problem, plus i got there front sway bar disconnect
Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

So after hours more reading and your comments we have decided on the 2.5'' TeraFlex coil lift with 17'' Pro Comp Wheels and 35'' BFG KM2's.

The only question I still have is, is that kit totally complete or do I have to have something else?

Ive read plenty of threads and it just seems confusing with some getting control arms and track bars. From what I can tell it seems complete with just using the brackets and such, correct? Budgeting $3,000 for everything.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Talley; 12-14-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Listen up to these guys. Dont cheap out as you will be sorry. Track bars and front lower control arms are worth every penny as you want it to drive well on the road. I have the RC 2.5 with shocks and it drove ok but what a huge difference a few weeks later with the above mentioned parts.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Talley
... we have decided on the 2.5'' TeraFlex coil lift with 17'' Pro Comp Wheels and 35'' BFG KM2's. ...
Originally Posted by ejb17
... Dont cheap out as you will be sorry. Track bars and front lower control arms are worth every penny as you want it to drive well on the road. I have the RC 2.5 with shocks and it drove ok but what a huge difference a few weeks later with the above mentioned parts.
I have the RC 2.5 BB with shocks. The steering, with 33s, was flighty. I added the front LCAs a couple months later and dramatically improved the steering feel by being able to dial in the caster. I would think with 35s that the front LCAs are even more necessary. It's okay to drive it without, but I think when you feel the flightiness you'll decide you need them. As for the trackbars: I currently don't have, but my axles shifted only very slightly. However, that's a 2.5" front, 2.0" rear lift. The consensus is that you'll get more than 2.5" of lift with the TF kit (until you sag it down with bumpers, winch, etc, I suppose. LOL). More lift means more axle shift. I plan to upgrade to the TF 2.5" coil lift, and to include the trackbars at the time. David, at Northridge4x4, can expect my order early next year. My son may go to Oklahoma University, but my money goes to David at Northridge4x4!