Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RC 2.5" BB vs. OME 2"

Old 06-26-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC 2.5" BB vs. OME 2"

I keep going back and forth with my decision on this and can't decide whether to go with the RC 2.5" BB with the shocks or go with the OME 2" coil kit with shocks. I realize the OME will raise it around 2.5" with the light duty kit, but how much more flex am I going to get out of it compared to a BB kit? Is the ride quality of the OME going to be far superior to the RC kit? I don't want to go too crazy with it as my JK is my daily driver and I'm not rich enough to afford driveshafts and the extra gas. I keep thinking just go with the BB and with the money I save ($350), I could then justify adjustable front and rear trackbars. Sounds like most people have been satisfied with both of these lifts and I'm still not sure if I even need adj. trackbars, but I"m just really anal when it comes to that stuff. I guess my main question is.....is the OME lift really worth the extra $$$? Advice?
Anybody hate either one of these kits for any reason? Also it's a rubicon, so I got the factory e-disconnect and was wondering if I need to get longer rear sway bar links for this and swap the rears to the front?

Last edited by husker_shoe; 06-26-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

OME. I had a 2 inch BB on my, in a month I bought the OME. I have learned quickly always go BIGGER as a rule of law for Jeeps.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by buster04
OME. I had a 2 inch BB on my, in a month I bought the OME. I have learned quickly always go BIGGER as a rule of law for Jeeps.
Buster, noticed you're running the Hankooks. Pretty sure I'm gonna buy the same tire. How are you liking yours so far?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by husker_shoe
Buster, noticed you're running the Hankooks. Pretty sure I'm gonna buy the same tire. How are you liking yours so far?
great tire, great value zero, complaints. Well one should have done 37's ha..
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by buster04
great tire, great value zero, complaints. Well one should have done 37's ha..
LOL! Bigger is better right!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

yes budget is a concern, however, I don't want to spend $300 on a BB and not be happy with it, then spend the $ on a OME lift additionally down the road. Just weighing my options. It is a daily driver, but I've had it in some pretty sketchy scenarios in Moab and I'm not afraid to use it for what it's built for. Just want to be satisfied with what I end up with

Last edited by husker_shoe; 06-26-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I vote OME. I just installed one on my brother-in-laws 08 4dr JK and it's really easy and works great. I used the HD and got 3" in the back and 3.5 in the front. It settled an additional .5 inch over the first 100 miles or so. It's exactly what I wanted. I used a 1" coil spacer in the front so it was actually 4.5" then settled to 3.5 after an AEV bumper and Winch.

The ride is excellent. I ran with the stock front track bar and it tracks great. It has a slight wander, but expected without the adjustable track bar and upper arms. That will come later. It is by no means difficult to drive. It handles better than a stock TJ if that helps.

I chose 305/70/17 Goodyear MTR tires on the stock Rubicon wheel with no spacers. It rubs in the front at full lock (on the front sway bar) but other than that, it does not rub anywhere else. I will admit, it's close, but i flexed it completely to the bumpstops front and rear and got no rubbing other than the front sway bar and maybe a touch on the rear at full flex. Nothing that would blow the tire out. Spacers would be recommended if you do serious off road, but for mostly street like my brother-in-law does, it should be fine.

He purchased two OME lifts...one for him and one for me for installing his lift and bumper. The lift was easy...the AEV bumper is a PITA!!!. Install time on the complete lift including rear panhard bracket was 4 hours complete. Install on the front bumper....about 8-12 hours...I lost track.

I actually called OME before I ordered the lift. If you don't want 3" of lift, just order the lighter duty and it will give you the advertised 2". The reason everyone says they get 3" or more out of the OME lift is because they ordered the HD kit. If you talk with OME, the HD kit is specifically designed for a vehicle running HD bumpers front and rear and the 620 springs are for running gas cans and an overhead rack only. If you use the 620 rears, you will get 4" in the back. I ran 619's in front and 618's in the rear and it was perfect for a stock rear bumper and a front winch and bumper setup. The ride is amazing!

Hope that helps. I am rambling now.....im down two crown and coke's so far.

Last edited by SB08JK; 06-26-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SB08JK
I vote OME. I just installed one on my brother-in-laws 08 4dr JK and it's really easy and works great. I used the HD and got 3" in the back and 3.5 in the front. It settled an additional .5 inch over the first 100 miles or so. It's exactly what I wanted. I used a 1" coil spacer in the front so it was actually 4.5" then settled to 3.5 after an AEV bumper and Winch.

The ride is excellent. I ran with the stock front track bar and it tracks great. It has a slight wander, but expected without the adjustable track bar and upper arms. That will come later. It is by no means difficult to drive. It handles better than a stock TJ if that helps.

I chose 305/70/17 Goodyear MTR tires on the stock Rubicon wheel with no spacers. It rubs in the front at full lock (on the front sway bar) but other than that, it does not rub anywhere else. I will admit, it's close, but i flexed it completely to the bumpstops front and rear and got no rubbing other than the front sway bar and maybe a touch on the rear at full flex. Nothing that would blow the tire out. Spacers would be recommended if you do serious off road, but for mostly street like my brother-in-law does, it should be fine.

He purchased two OME lifts...one for him and one for me for installing his lift and bumper. The lift was easy...the AEV bumper is a PITA!!!. Install time on the complete lift including rear panhard bracket was 4 hours complete. Install on the front bumper....about 8-12 hours...I lost track.

I actually called OME before I ordered the lift. If you don't want 3" of lift, just order the lighter duty and it will give you the advertised 2". The reason everyone says they get 3" or more out of the OME lift is because they ordered the HD kit. If you talk with OME, the HD kit is specifically designed for a vehicle running HD bumpers front and rear and the 620 springs are for running gas cans and an overhead rack only. If you use the 620 rears, you will get 4" in the back. I ran 619's in front and 618's in the rear and it was perfect for a stock rear bumper and a front winch and bumper setup. The ride is amazing!

Hope that helps. I am rambling now.....im down two crown and coke's so far.
Cool, thanks for the input! I'm also going to run a 305/70 tire, but I got aftermaket wheels with 4.5" backspacing, so I'm not too worried about it rubbing
Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

OME is my recommendation ! I had 2,5" BB from nov.07 to may08 before switching over to OME and my thoughts are why i didn't do it right first time. Way better ride quality. I also have adjustable front and rear trackbars.
My OME springs are 618 rear 619 front, perfect setup for my use, which means 90% roads, 10% on forest tracks.

Last edited by wgr; 06-27-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another vote for OME. I got mine from northridge and love it. It rides alot better than stock. I also ordered the track bars from full traction, however, they are on back order and I have not yet gotten them. I've been running without them and doing just fine, kinda wondering if I ever should have orderd them?. So you can save some $$ there if you want to go with just the springs. We have been over some big rocks with it.

Quick Reply: RC 2.5" BB vs. OME 2"