Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RC 2.5" or 3.25"? Is there really a $70 difference?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dskees
Am also looking at going with the RK 3.25" lift. Did anyone see the need for the extra steering stabalizer shock? Or we're there any problems with the wobbles?
I put one on mine, just because it was pretty cheap and then wound up getting the other one to turn it into a dual system. Does it help? Maybe? Certainly looks pretty cool
Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went back and forth with it, but opted to wait. I wanted to see how it feels/drives w/o it and go from there.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Friday is lift kit install day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-24 18.06.55.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	382037
Old 10-24-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mattfl
I put one on mine, just because it was pretty cheap and then wound up getting the other one to turn it into a dual system. Does it help? Maybe? Certainly looks pretty cool
Any drveshaft issues?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sbacpo
Any drveshaft issues?
Nope, none at all.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats on the Lift. Is yours a 2 door or 4 door? Mine is the 4 door and my son and I did this lift in about 3 hours in the garage. Very straight forward. I have done a few lifts before and this was a nice one.
No where as time consuming as my other sons Frankenlift in his Liberty.
I have had mine in for a couple years now and through a couple winters. It is holding up nicely other than the normal rusty spots.
I have not added a steering stabilizer but stayed with stock and run the 35's for the summer. Stock tires and wheels go on for the winter.
I am not far from your area so if you run into a snag, shoot me an email and I will try to respond.
trand6863@frontier.com
Mandor6863
Old 10-25-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandor6863
Congrats on the Lift. Is yours a 2 door or 4 door? Mine is the 4 door and my son and I did this lift in about 3 hours in the garage. Very straight forward. I have done a few lifts before and this was a nice one.
No where as time consuming as my other sons Frankenlift in his Liberty.
I have had mine in for a couple years now and through a couple winters. It is holding up nicely other than the normal rusty spots.
I have not added a steering stabilizer but stayed with stock and run the 35's for the summer. Stock tires and wheels go on for the winter.
I am not far from your area so if you run into a snag, shoot me an email and I will try to respond.
trand6863@frontier.com
Mandor6863

Thanks for the feedback and helping hand. Im planning on starting first thing in the morning....which really means around 11am after coffee.
This is the first for me, but Im no stranger to working on my own vehicles. There's something about paying a mechanic $65+ an hour to do something I can do. I'd rather pay a buddy in beer to help!

As seems to be the motto around the forum, I'll post pics as I go.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow. Just mapped it. You're only an hour from me. We should set up a trail ride. Ive got one schedule for this Sunday, as well as next Sunday.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll shoot you over some directions and details.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

On Mine, when getting to using the front brake line extension for mounting, I could not move the hard line mounts with the supplied extension. I instead just left the front lines as is and it was fine for daily driving.
I eventually added extended lines to it so no issue.
I was able to use the brake line extension in the rear. Everything else was straight forward.
I did the front first s you need to sway bar extensions for the rear.
One side at a time. Use a floor jack on the frame when pulling the coils.
We jacked it, removed tire, lowered it, moved jack to frame and jacked it all back up with shock and sway bar disconnected and pulled out coil and put in new.
Repeat all the way around.
Have fun.
Mandor6863
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Lift Install complete

First - As per the instructions, it says that I must adjust my draglink to center the steering wheel prior to driving. Perhaps Im missing something, but my steering wheel remained centered? How do I adjust this properly? I took it for a ride around town last night and didnt notice any wobble. Is it always a Must that this gets done?

The overall install took about 8 hours for me. The first side took about 5 of the 8, as it was my first lift so I was really taking my time with things. Throw in a lunch, couple beers and just no need to rush, and that's about where I was.

I would say having two hydraulic jacks would have been helpful, as I used the factory scissor jack for the axle lifts to remove tension and my 3 ton hydraulic to keep the vehicle in the air. I also found that I was back and forth a lot with the jacks trying to find the best location. This was minimized on the second side, as the first side was the learning experience of it.

My first thought last night was that it felt a little top heave with the steering and it felt like it swayed back and forth more. I'm guessing that's due to a change in the center of gravity. I've got some 1 1/2" wheel spacers coming that I think will help, and Im sure it's just because I'm not use to it being that high up. It is however a smooth ride then I got with my factory suspension.

Name:	2012-10-26 11.28.12.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	382830

Name:	2012-10-26 11.28.24.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	382831

Name:	2012-10-26 11.29.19.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	382832

Name:	2012-10-26 13.22.27.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	382833

Name:	2012-10-26 13.23.06.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	382834

Quick Reply: RC 2.5" or 3.25"? Is there really a $70 difference?