Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rattling tranny or drivetrain noise when cold

Old 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattling tranny or drivetrain noise when cold

I'm only putting this in modified because I have a leveling kit. I am not sure how changing the geometry would impact any of this, if at all.

On cold days (temps below 25F or so) when the Jeep has a chance to cool down to the ambient air temperature, I receive a rattling/metallic noise that is quite loud on the inside of the jeep, coming from around where the shifter is located. It is difficult to track exactly, but it is coming from behind the plastic of that area. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to have anyone listen to hear if it is coming from outside or inside the vehicle.

Here's the scenario:
-back out of the unheated/uninsulated garage or parking space at work. I don't know if I have noticed it when I am just pulling out straight of a parking spot without having to go in reverse first...something to test...
-put the vehicle in drive
-upon acceleration, rattling/metallic noise occurs, and stops if I let off of the accelerator.
-noise seems to change slightly as the transmission shifts into 2nd
-by the time I'm a few blocks down the road, unless its extremely cold, it will stop. It takes a few extra blocks to quiet down on extremely cold days.
-other notes: If I start the vehicle, and do not shift out of park, revving the engine will not reproduce the issue. Backing out of the garage, putting the Jeep in park, and revving the engine will not reproduce the issue. It does not happen when revving the engine at all. It is not a vibration issue (from bumps), and does not happen in reverse. Being in 2wd or 4HI has no bearing on the noise. I have not tested 4LO

Could this be a fluid situation? As I was typing this out, I realized I had not checked the fluid level yet, but will do that when I get home. The noise seems to be for sure generating from the transmission or from the vehicle being put into drive. Perhaps the drivetrain, but I admit I am ignorant about how that interacts with the vehicle being put into drive and going forward.

Has anyone had something similar to this? I am planning on scheduling something with the dealer, but its going to be hard to reproduce. I will have to leave the vehicle overnight on a cold night, then get a ride there in the AM to try to replicate the sound.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a sound like the one your describing that was intermittent and generally at lower speeds. I had torn the slip cover on the front driveshaft on the transmission skid while I was wheeling. The loose plastic would rattle around for a while until it got stuck on something. I cut it off, the noise went away. Might be that easy. Its the accordion looking piece of black plastic thats in the middle of the front driveshaft. If it's torn up that might be it.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

I got underneath at one point and checked for anything loose that might be causing the problem. I'll check again. It generally does not do it if it's above freezing though, that's what's odd. Fluid is fine, checked that when I got home.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Believe it or not its more than likely the metal heater hoses behind your glove box that is making this noise. My 2013 Rubicon made the same rattling noise that drove me crazy and after tons of research I found that the metal heater pipes are rubbing during cold making a ratting noise, and since the heater core is directly in front of the shifter it transfers the noise to your shifter transmission area. Fix is to take glove box off and put some heater hose in-between the metal pipes you will see, this should do the trick
!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
Believe it or not its more than likely the metal heater hoses behind your glove box that is making this noise. My 2013 Rubicon made the same rattling noise that drove me crazy and after tons of research I found that the metal heater pipes are rubbing during cold making a ratting noise, and since the heater core is directly in front of the shifter it transfers the noise to your shifter transmission area. Fix is to take glove box off and put some heater hose in-between the metal pipes you will see, this should do the trick !
Very interesting, I will take out the glove box before I go to work and take a quick peek.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

This might be it. I took the glove box out and the sound was for sure louder. I'll have to do some tracking down on it this weekend.
The following users liked this post:
Dee7717 (01-21-2023)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hoboscratch
This might be it. I took the glove box out and the sound was for sure louder. I'll have to do some tracking down on it this weekend.
Yupp, just hit your local parts store gets some rubber heater hose, and put in-between the length of the metal pipe and no more noise. It only makes the noise under load when cold. I think this is a common issue on the newer models that not a lot of people know about the fix yet.
The following users liked this post:
Dee7717 (01-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Rattling tranny or drivetrain noise when cold