Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rattling from rear brakes over bumps

Old 09-16-2014, 11:54 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
Anyone have a rattle when going over small bumps coming from rear?
I originally suspected CA bolts or shock mounts but all were tight.
Then I tapped the rear calipers and they click/rattle.

Verified by going over the bumps while applying brakes and it doesn't make the noise then.
We had this same issue which lead to the rear brakes locking up.. the left rear pad was left looking like a leaf while the rotor was pitted and eaten up as well.. I would have someone remove the rotors and check the emergency brake and if there is any sort of build up inside the rotor (as our did) the e-brake would constantly make contact and simply wear out.

here's that post as relating to our issue and at first we thought it was an electrical issue.. But often one could dico the battery and clean the terminals.. Brake The Electrical Issue
Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird

We had this same issue which lead to the rear brakes locking up.. the left rear pad was left looking like a leaf while the rotor was pitted and eaten up as well.. I would have someone remove the rotors and check the emergency brake and if there is any sort of build up inside the rotor (as our did) the e-brake would constantly make contact and simply wear out.

here's that post as relating to our issue and at first we thought it was an electrical issue.. But often one could dico the battery and clean the terminals.. Brake The Electrical Issue
Good points. Everything looked good when I just had the rotors off a week ago.
I just never thought the bracket and guide pins were a wear item

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 09-19-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Update...

Pulled the calipers apart and filled the slide pin holes with caliper grease and cleaned up the anti rattle clips and noises are gone.

Thanks for that great advice

The following users liked this post:
gordysmithtwo@gmail.com (05-04-2021)
Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear.. and you're prob tired of hearing me say unplug this, unplug that.. but everything is electrical these days.. wasn't like this back in the late 70's.. miss those years..
The following users liked this post:
gordysmithtwo@gmail.com (05-04-2021)
Old 09-19-2014, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Good to hear.. and you're prob tired of hearing me say unplug this, unplug that.. but everything is electrical these days.. wasn't like this back in the late 70's.. miss those years..
You're right though...too many electrical interventions going into these things.
Not like my old Dodge Ram Prospector. Those were the days....

Quick Reply: rattling from rear brakes over bumps