Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

random roof rack

Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random roof rack

i wasn't sure where to post this, but lately i've been seeing jeeps with roof racks on them. not the standard body connected, or whatever, but the one that seemingly connects to the inside of the doors. haven't been able to get a good look cuz i'm driving, but it seemingly attaches to the little rain gutter on the roof. then has the cross bars connecting the 2 mount points.

questions.

1) how well do they work? seems a bit flimsy to me especially to carry snowboards and the "powder hound"/board mounts.

2) where the hell do i get it. they look real good, doesn't seem like any drilling, and it looks very very easy to install.

anyone know what im talking about?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Probably Thule or Yakima.
They both make universal post racks. I would feel comfortable with boards/skis on one, but that's about it. I would worry about lift at interstate speed with a canoe or a large carrier on top.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Probably you are seeing the Thule Gutter mount bars. I have a set for mine and they (and the roof) are strong enough to carry my kayaks. I tie it down very securely though so they don't move around. I don't attach them to the freedom panels though, I would be afraid they might decide to take flight!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

as mentioned above, probably a simple gutter mount roof rack your seeing
Straight up...the hard top is not designed to take any significant weight at all...period...hence the development of racks that transfer the weight to the body in some fashion. Though someone may be running around with a few things up there, you need to take into consideration the dynamic load of whatever your holding up there, stopping and starting shifts the weight and WILL take it's toll on the hardtop, it's all just a matter of time
Old 02-20-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
as mentioned above, probably a simple gutter mount roof rack your seeing
Straight up...the hard top is not designed to take any significant weight at all...period...hence the development of racks that transfer the weight to the body in some fashion. Though someone may be running around with a few things up there, you need to take into consideration the dynamic load of whatever your holding up there, stopping and starting shifts the weight and WILL take it's toll on the hardtop, it's all just a matter of time
yeah...that's why im asking about it. it seems like a reallllly good idea, and it seems real cheap to get and install, compared to the body mounted roof rack. just seemed kinda flimsy tho.

i wonder how long the "matter of time" will take. hm....i doubt its worth the effort and cost for a new top, compared to buying a good body mounted roof rack.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Custom made brakets for the Mopar Overland Jeep Wrangler that clamped to the roll bars inside which would transfer the load from a roof rack mounted directly ontop of the hard top to the roll bars..but you'd have to drill holes through the hard top. Looked like a really slick design, too bad as with many things ...just a one off, none in production that are known

Last edited by BlackNorthernJK; 02-20-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: not sure who makes brackets now
Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 AM
JK Newbie

IF you arnt going to put anything to heavy on the roof try just a simple canopy track mount, i put 4 pieces on the roof because if the separating parts, and only put the rack on when i need it, i put a 6mm plate inside the cab where the nuts bolt down for a bit of strength. but then again i only carry my maxtrax, fishing rods, and tarp on the roof nothing over 15kgs. the canopy's are only 5mm thick. so be CAREFUL!. If you want Heavy stuff like the photos above well you will have to fab something up or buy the ugly roof racks that bold on the exterior body. Good luck
Old 02-21-2010, 03:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thule 300 kit gutter mount feet kit. then cross bars & racks. I also started using my thule box for light loads. very stable. do a search on my user name and thule racks. I've got tons of pics. (im on mobile or I'd link for u). DO NOT attach to Freedom panels.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

I also have the Thule 300 and have used them with an approx 4' (short) box. We only use the box for duffel bags for summer trips to our cabin (200mi). Have also used for short trips to local Home centers for small loads of lumber. I do attach the front bar to the very back of the front panels with no issues so far. Now having said that, also let me say I'm not speeding and usually have a boat in tow and poke along at 70mph Max. These have all been during warm weather temps which may or may not matter. Not to influence anyone one way or another, just my own experience so far.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I researched this ideal a while back. I like the looks of a roof rack. But I do not like the extra hardware on the outside of the jeep. Like everyone else, I was worried about the stress on the roof. But the bracket ideal for the tent thingy stirs my imagination. I have learned that the cheepiest way to ge a rack is at the recking yard. If you remember the make and model of the reck, you can still get aftermarket parts.

Quick Reply: random roof rack