Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho vs RK

Old 06-12-2015, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rancho vs RK

I need some serious help choosing a lift. I've researched till my head exploded! I have an 07 JKU that I want to put 35's on, this is a DD and I need the wife and kids to be happy getting in and out. I will be mostly mall crawling, with few excursions a year as I'm looking to join a local Jeep club. I had on order the Rancho RS66110B progressive sport lift and a set of RS5000x's but I cancelled the order because it is listed as a 3-3.5" kit. I was planning on getting the LCA brackets, but don't want to open a can of worms with steering and driveshaft issues. I also thought of the RK stock mod because it too is progressive and is listed at 2.5" of lift, which seems less likely to cause steering and driveshaft issues. I'm still leaning towards the rancho because of the rebates!! The kit plus the shocks were going to be under $600 after rebate! That leaves me money towards getting the 35's much sooner. So my questions are if anyone has experience with these, what are some real world lift heights? And would going with the 3-3.5 really cause a lot of headaches later on?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you don't have weight on your jeep, bumpers, winch and armour, both will give you more than the listed height. The rock Krawler would not be as high as the rancho you listed. as The rancho would probably net about 4" of lift. This is one of the major issues with picking lifts.....the listed height is a suggestion. But from what I have seen most lift more than the rated lift height.

If you are looking at the rancho, using the drop bracket is a great idea. If you do not disco, then you should be fine with the Drive shafts.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
If you don't have weight on your jeep, bumpers, winch and armour, both will give you more than the listed height. The rock Krawler would not be as high as the rancho you listed. as The rancho would probably net about 4" of lift. This is one of the major issues with picking lifts.....the listed height is a suggestion. But from what I have seen most lift more than the rated lift height. If you are looking at the rancho, using the drop bracket is a great idea. If you do not disco, then you should be fine with the Drive shafts.
Agree
Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 AM
JK Junkie

Look at the synergy 2" maybe or even the RK 1.5" lift. I just ran 35s with no lift and flat fenders and it looked and drove awesome.

Last edited by DunnyBunny; 06-14-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just installed the Rancho 3" Trail System
I gained about 6" in front and 4.5" in back.
No armor, yet.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy shitballs batman.

Originally Posted by Lsot
No armor, yet.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thats not what I was looking to hear!! I'm starting to think lower might be better, but such a good deal to pass up.

Originally Posted by Lsot
No armor, yet.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just get a teraflex budget boost with shock extensions and call it a day, or flat fenders and 35's. For your needs those will probably be your two best choices and budget friendly. Keep in mind if you go with a 12.50 tire you will need wheel spacers.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by bookem73
Thats not what I was looking to hear!! I'm starting to think lower might be better, but such a good deal to pass up.
My first thought was that he was sent the wrong coils or something, haven't seen anyone else posting about that kind of height from Rancho coils. You might also send a PM to their forum rep. They are fairly active and should give you some feedback on it.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

3" for a 4 door
3.5" for a 2 door
Using the progressive springs pretty spot on to their heights.
You will need to address the exhaust/driveshaft.
If you aren't going "twisty" all over the place your drive shafts will last along time.

Also to the gent who got 6" up front, P/N's on springs by chance?
I run our 4" springs and got a bit closer to 4.5" but no where near 6"....

Originally Posted by bookem73
I need some serious help choosing a lift. I've researched till my head exploded! I have an 07 JKU that I want to put 35's on, this is a DD and I need the wife and kids to be happy getting in and out. I will be mostly mall crawling, with few excursions a year as I'm looking to join a local Jeep club. I had on order the Rancho RS66110B progressive sport lift and a set of RS5000x's but I cancelled the order because it is listed as a 3-3.5" kit. I was planning on getting the LCA brackets, but don't want to open a can of worms with steering and driveshaft issues. I also thought of the RK stock mod because it too is progressive and is listed at 2.5" of lift, which seems less likely to cause steering and driveshaft issues. I'm still leaning towards the rancho because of the rebates!! The kit plus the shocks were going to be under $600 after rebate! That leaves me money towards getting the 35's much sooner. So my questions are if anyone has experience with these, what are some real world lift heights? And would going with the 3-3.5 really cause a lot of headaches later on?

Quick Reply: Rancho vs RK