Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho Tire Carrier

Old 04-15-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are fabtech

those pics are from SEMA, look underthe fabtech jeep

fabtech said this was a one off, they will not be producing them
Old 05-23-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Just got a new catalog/flyer from 4wd and they have the Rancho Rock Gear Tire Carrier in it. Here it is on their site:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=41263

The picture in the flyer showed the tire carrier offcentered toward the driver side. Don't know if I like that but it's hard to tell wha tthey really look like.

http://www.gorancho.com/rockgear/rearbumper.php#

Whoever said this was a copy of the Hitchgate was wrong. I believe the Hitchgate requires a hitch?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

They changed the original picture on their website and hence the picture link. The above is their new version of bumper and a new picture.

The previous version (picture) was a modified hitchgate made to fit on the JK.

Let see if i have a picture of the first version as it was on the website...

Here it is...

Now compare this original picture to the tire gate picture: Still not convinced its a tiregate? Even the orange handle is the same.

Last edited by VictorS; 05-23-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=bcperry2000;516210]Just got a new catalog/flyer from 4wd and they have the Rancho Rock Gear Tire Carrier in it. Here it is on their site:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=41263

http://www.gorancho.com/rockgear/rearbumper.php#

I like it. It definitely gets away from the multifacited/transformer look which gives it more of a traditional Jeep look instead of a high stylish look.

Advantages:
1. Less weight (no extra computer generated bumper origami)
2. Mounts a Jack
3. simple
4. Cheaper ($400 isntead of $1000 plus)
5. Gas can mount option between body and spare mount?
6. Gets spare tire higher up for better departure angle

Disadvantages:
1. No bumper (legal issues?)
2. Some may say it look unfinished
3. Tire rack sticks out rather far
4. Will the swing gate hit the hi lift jack when opened?
5. No rear quarter panel protection
6. No built-in step that full length bumpers offer
7. For 35s and smaller could use stock mount and spend on a bumper only (mounting jack inside)

Last edited by mizedog; 05-24-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I made my own tire carrier based on a similar concept. I call it a "stubby tire carrier". Efficient, lightwieght and oodles of clearance while offroading.

And there's room to fit one or two of these thin, 4 gallon, Expedition One gas cans on the tail gate door. Fits nicely in between the tailgate and the tire carrier. Very compact

Last edited by VictorS; 05-24-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by VictorS
I made my own tire carrier based on a similar concept. I call it a "stubby tire carrier". Efficient, lightwieght and oodles of clearance while offroading.

That looks good. Your rig is awesome.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

And there's room to fit one or two of these thin, 4 gallon, Expedition One gas cans on the tail gate door. Fits nicely in between the tailgate and the tire carrier. Very compact

Yours looks awesome, nice job.

The other one that is pictured above yours nmakes no sense, its mounts the tire off to one side blocking that sides lights off.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! I love this. I want one. Can you post some pics, explain the materials you used? Did you use channel on the ends of the frame? I like that the hinge is on top, rather than on the back of the frame horns. Also, did you make the A-Frame, or retrofit a pre-existing design? If I was still in SoCal, I'd con you into making me one.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mizedog
Wow! I love this. I want one. Can you post some pics, explain the materials you used? Did you use channel on the ends of the frame? I like that the hinge is on top, rather than on the back of the frame horns. Also, did you make the A-Frame, or retrofit a pre-existing design? If I was still in SoCal, I'd con you into making me one.
x2. you gotta give us a write up on that thing.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to get it. I don't have a ton of money to throw for a $1,000+ tire carrier. I can afford $400. With the way our economy is going I am trying to be mindful on what I spend. As far as the corneres go.....I will just be a little more careful but there is not much rock crawling in MD. mostley trails and mud.

Quick Reply: Rancho Tire Carrier