Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rancho sport brackets

Old 03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rancho sport brackets

I am thinking about using some brackets from a Rancho sport kit to drop my control arms down some. I am still going to use adj. control arms to control my caster, but using these brackets will make my arms more flat. I am hoping to achieve a ride closer to what you get from a long arm kit, but without the long arm expense... or complicated installation. Has anyone done this? Is there any reason that this will not work?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ncho+sport+kit
Old 03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
??? Not really sure why you posted that. I saw that thread, if you look I had posted on it. It does not really answer the questions I have though. I did not see anyone there using adj. control arms with the rancho drop brackets.

Rancho claims that the brackets allow for 1" greater drop. That is not a huge mount, but it is still 1" more than my teraflex can go right now. That is not the real reason I am thinking about them though. I am thinking the flatter control arm geometry will help smooth out the bumps in the road even better. If you look at a stock jeep the control arm is flat but the short arms point down a ways. I really think the ride will be greatly improved as the geometry will be very close to stock.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

ah didn't see your post in it... I don;t have any experience with it, but I don't really think it is going to be that great a difference. A quality suspension with all control arms would flex just as good and that jus tlooks like 1 more thing that you could get hung up on.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I wouldn't do it because I don't care for Rancho or their stuff. One factor to consider is that nobody else has seen fit to emulate this so it probably doesn't make any real world difference.

Well I just went to their website and looked at it and I definetly wouldn't do it. The bracket doesn't look all that substantial and with all the problems that have been had putting unbraced extensions on the JK I think you're spending money that will provide you with no benefit and yet will weaken your suspension. And worse yet the unbraced portion hangs down below the frame where it's more exposed to trail hits and its longer arm will transmit more torque to the factory mount. A lot of the factory welds just aren't up to any more torque. During off roading and under articulation the control arms see enough force as it is. On the surface this sounds like a good idea but I think it is bad juju.

Quick Reply: rancho sport brackets