Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho shock length

Old 09-13-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancho shock length

I am about to buy Rancho 9000 shocks because of the rebate they are running. I have a 2 dr with 1.75 spacers all around and flat fenders with stock shocks right now. I have 35" tires. I know the stock shocks are good for up to 2" lift but I want to upgrade for ride quality. I don't plan on lifting any higher because quite frankly, my setup is simple and works fine for me now. I want to know what length shocks I should run up front. Can I get shocks meant for a 2.5 in lift? Will I need more bump stop? Or should I stay with stock length up front? And for the rear... I will be adding the metalcloak shock relocation brackets that raise the shock mounting point up 3". I assume I should stay at stock length back there since I will be lifted 1.75 - 3 which would technically be 1.25 under stock height when referring to the shocks. Am I correct? Please give me some feedback. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

You could get longer shocks but not much. You want a safe 3-4" for up and down travel. I had 2.5" with 5" shocks but had a lot of bump stop.

Rise quaility will be better if you stay in a safe range of up and down travel. Measure your shocks ext length and then look at the ranchos ext length. And collasped length ( also check yours. That will determine what you can use. But id say its safe to use 3" shocks.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. Anybody have a part number or a link to where I could find different rancho shock lengths?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Csciam1
Thanks. Anybody have a part number or a link to where I could find different rancho shock lengths?
There's a rep from Rancho on the boards that can help out. He's been tremendous helping me out with my lift. Try shooting him a PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	re6anu9a.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	575615

Measure your compressed and extended lengths and shove the longest shock you can in there

Quick Reply: Rancho shock length