Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho Shock damaged

Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancho Shock damaged

hi all
please help

This is what happened to the rear (right side) shock. as you can see from the picture the track bar bracket is too close to the shock, did this happen to ony one else or just me.

also noticed that the rear sway bar link is already in contact with the axle mounted bracket.

Is there any way to avoid this happening again?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Throw the rear sway bar link in the garbage.

Looks like the shock gets under that nut there under compression, and the dent is down low at rid height, etc.....so maybe space the lower shock mount out a bit to clear under compression, etc....
Old 03-21-2008, 10:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Throw the rear sway bar link in the garbage.

Looks like the shock gets under that nut there under compression, and the dent is down low at rid height, etc.....so maybe space the lower shock mount out a bit to clear under compression, etc....
TEEJ

Do you think if i removed the track bar bracket and just install an adj track bar might help with this?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed some rancho shocks yesterday, and I already have the dent. My first set of shocks had the dent too, but the last set didn't. The difference seems to be the diameter of the shock itself. Short of getting rid the track bar, I dont know what to do about it.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Here are a couple thoughts for you, in regards to relocated the track bar why not just relocate the shock mount?

You also might consider turning your shock upside down so the shaft is at the bottom. Then it would only hit the boot?

With the heavy end of the shock attacked to the body you lessen any bounce and axle/wheel/tire weight reaction to springs and shocks slightly more acceptable.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

What brand of good shocks that come with the shaft at the bottom?

I have ordered a new track bar already, hope this will assist solving the problem.

What can be done about the sway bar links? i need to get this done right once and for all as i dont like keep changing or worrying about shafts when i am on trail.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shock relocation kit to go at the bottom to move the shock out and inch or so Teraflex has these call them they had a similar issue with there kit.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

You could try Bilstein's they have the body of the shock up and the shaft down, and they have a good ride.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Getting a monotube shock that can run can up, etc...as mentiioned could help....as would moving the lower shock mount, etc. The adj track bars might mount to the same point, so I'm not sure it that's a realistic fix, unless you need one to re-center the axle anyway.

I'm also partial to the Bilsteins, they are fantastic shocks.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for your input guys

Quick Reply: Rancho Shock damaged