Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho Differential Skid Issue

Old 04-19-2016, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancho Differential Skid Issue

Hey guys, first post, second JK... I just installed these diff sliders front and rear. (Dana44) The rear one contacts the fuel tank skid plate when the suspension flexes. Has anyone installed these and run into this issue? Would lifting the jeep make this worse or better? I think the trackbar would force the rear axle even more passenger? I reached out to Rancho but it's one email response daily and so far they've only asked for photos and part number... Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1107871927.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	644308  
Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't run the rancho diff skid but under max droop my drive shaft hits my gas tank skid. My axle is perfectly centered 2.5" rk lift
Old 04-20-2016, 01:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm thanks for the input... Stock rear DS I assume? They are pretty wide. Any worries about friction on a container of flammable liquid? A buddy offered to grind the comer of the skid down. I'll prob do that and hope it doesn't compromise the rigidity.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
Hmmm thanks for the input... Stock rear DS I assume? They are pretty wide. Any worries about friction on a container of flammable liquid? A buddy offered to grind the comer of the skid down. I'll prob do that and hope it doesn't compromise the rigidity.
Instead of grinding it I would pound it in with a bfh. I had to do a lot of reshaping to my fuel tank with a bfh because my driveshaft was rubbing it. The tank inside the skid is plastic and in the corners of the skid it doesn't even touch the skid some places. Reshaping is easy and safer than grinding too much heat you can melt the tank and sparks from a grinder near a tank even worse things can happen, lol
Old 04-20-2016, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I hear ya... I was thinking of grinding the edge of the diff slider down, not the tank....I need to wait until the 2" AEV spacers go in so I can asses where the new impact zone will be....do you have any pics of where you dented in the skid plate?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
Ok I hear ya... I was thinking of grinding the edge of the diff slider down, not the tank....I need to wait until the 2" AEV spacers go in so I can asses where the new impact zone will be....do you have any pics of where you dented in the skid plate?
It was more than a denting it was a major reshaping, lol. This pics shows most of it all along the bottom inside corner I probably lost 1/4-1/2 gallon, lol

Old 04-20-2016, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haha I see what you did there.... I'll have to think about that I'm not so sure about taking a BFH to my gas tank... It's brand new 2015. I'm more upset at Rancho that they designed it like this and advertise as stock compatible. Maybe it's a manufacturing defect. Fingers Crossed.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi

I have had no issues I have 43000 miles it only does it at max flex and when at those angles my ds is not spinning fast. I'm betting more touch than don't. Actually you are better off having the the skid to skid contact than the ds to skid contact. i noticed mine on the ramp and it's rare that in real world situations it will rub. It did not on the rubicon trail and in 4x in Moab the only time I had a witness mark was on golden spike and I've run most of the 6,7 and 8 trails. I would not fret about it.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have had no issues I have 43000 miles it only does it at max flex and when at those angles my ds is not spinning fast. I'm betting more touch than don't. Actually you are better off having the the skid to skid contact than the ds to skid contact. i noticed mine on the ramp and it's rare that in real world situations it will rub. It did not on the rubicon trail and in 4x in Moab the only time I had a witness mark was on golden spike and I've run most of the 6,7 and 8 trails. I would not fret about it.
Any concern that lateral pressure would shift it and let diff oil leak out? Doesn't have much reinforcement left to right....
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi

Diff pumpkins are stout. I don't worry, although when I first started I would have. Know after seeing how much abuse these can take I no longer worry. I would post a photo showing my witness marks from golden spike but can not figure out how on my iPad and my pc is down for the count right now.

Quick Reply: Rancho Differential Skid Issue