Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho or BDS/Fox Suspension Lift Kit

Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legolasies
I'm looking forward to purchasing a 3" lift kit with a suspension system. I'm trying to decide between Rancho rs9000xl or a BDS/Fox 2.0 Suspension. My mechanic suggest the BDS but I like the rancho because you can adjust the shocks. Can someone give me their expertise on the matter as well as which one would be best for me to install on my jeep. I travel about 40miles both ways everyday to work and I live in the city of New York. And when I say the city of NY I mean the wilderness due to all the pot holes NY has to offer. Every time I drive over these pot holes I hear a clanking sound that leads me to believe there's something else that needs to be done. Thank you for your time.
I have a 3" BDS and love it! No issues for me. I live in south Louisiana and for a 2door and the roads we have, the ride is smoother than I expected.

Sent from the swamp while taggin' a gator!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancho
Keep me posted.
I may have you pull the P/N ( the whole series of numbers stamped near the bottom of the shock) on it and talk to an engineer myself.
It boggles my mind and I already mentioned it to him a few weeks ago.
I did make contact with Tech and they said the 7000 shock should stay consistent on a gravel road and should not change after a couple of miles. The tech was helpful and it was a positive experience on my end. thanks
Old 08-14-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sea bass
Are you planning on wheeling? Is it just for looks? Is there a price range? There are a ton of choices out there - I wouldn't limit it to just those two. Are you looking at a complete kit with control arms or just a minimal kit with springs and brackets?
I don't plan on wheeling anytime soon, so for right now just the looks until I can actually get out. Upstate, but the shocks are mainly for the Nyc roads right now, and their many pot holes.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Legolasies
I don't plan on wheeling anytime soon, so for right now just the looks until I can actually get out. Upstate, but the shocks are mainly for the Nyc roads right now, and their many pot holes.
i think you will be happy with the BDS with the fox shock upgrade and the basic fox steering damper

you should goto the Jeep Jamboree website, there are a bunch within decent driving distance and you can get started with the fairly easy trails and learn what your Jeep can do while being aided by the trail guides

Jeep Jamboree USA

matthew
Old 08-15-2014, 02:12 AM
JK Junkie

No secret I love the 9000's.
I did run the 7000's. I would compare these to the 5100's. Firmer shock but not bad.
The 9000's are cushy soft at lower settings but will lack in dampening w/ a lot of body roll. 3/4 works for most people. I was able to go up to 6/7 with my new RK coils. Takes all but 30 sec to adjust them. 2nd time around with the 9000's. Love them ... I wish Rancho had more options. Longer maybe, something similar to the OME long travel.

Couple notes.
Turn the rears around 180 like mentioned to prevent damage to the knob.
I'm in NE .. Highly advise painting or coating the shock body. This year i will be using Fluid film. Great stuff IMO

Good luck !!!

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 08-17-2014, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll agree with most of what everyone is saying about BDS stuff. It rides nice, comes with most of what you need. And you're going with the fox shocks, I have the BDS ones and the bushings wore out after 15K with only mild offroading.

Quick Reply: Rancho or BDS/Fox Suspension Lift Kit