Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho or BDS/Fox Suspension Lift Kit

Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancho or BDS/Fox Suspension Lift Kit

I'm looking forward to purchasing a 3" lift kit with a suspension system. I'm trying to decide between Rancho rs9000xl or a BDS/Fox 2.0 Suspension. My mechanic suggest the BDS but I like the rancho because you can adjust the shocks. Can someone give me their expertise on the matter as well as which one would be best for me to install on my jeep. I travel about 40miles both ways everyday to work and I live in the city of New York. And when I say the city of NY I mean the wilderness due to all the pot holes NY has to offer. Every time I drive over these pot holes I hear a clanking sound that leads me to believe there's something else that needs to be done. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Legolasies
I'm looking forward to purchasing a 3" lift kit with a suspension system. I'm trying to decide between Rancho rs9000xl or a BDS/Fox 2.0 Suspension. My mechanic suggest the BDS but I like the rancho because you can adjust the shocks. Can someone give me their expertise on the matter as well as which one would be best for me to install on my jeep. I travel about 40miles both ways everyday to work and I live in the city of New York. And when I say the city of NY I mean the wilderness due to all the pot holes NY has to offer. Every time I drive over these pot holes I hear a clanking sound that leads me to believe there's something else that needs to be done. Thank you for your time.
I have the BDS lift with the fox shocks and the basic fox steering stabilizer

I've been quite happy with the BDS setup and there great warranty, I'm a tiny bit rough on my JK and did manage to bend something and BDS replaced it no problem.

matthew
Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you Matthew
Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I have the BDS lift with the fox shocks and the basic fox steering stabilizer I've been quite happy with the BDS setup and there great warranty, I'm a tiny bit rough on my JK and did manage to bend something and BDS replaced it no problem. matthew
Thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you planning on wheeling? Is it just for looks? Is there a price range? There are a ton of choices out there - I wouldn't limit it to just those two.

Are you looking at a complete kit with control arms or just a minimal kit with springs and brackets?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am bias..
All our parts* come with a warranty too. Wear parts aren't covered like jints, FYI.
Springs/arms etc are.
The adjustablity is REALLY nice.
Since you are in NYC I would have the shop hit the paint on the 9000's with a clear coat.
Good luck in your choice!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

I personally would stay away from anything Rancho. I will never forget when my buddy chose their 9000 adjustable shocks. When we opened the boxes, 3 of 4 of the clear bags they come in were full of the oil that is supposed to be inside the shock. Not a good thing when your trying to complete the lift in one day and you have to drive 50 min to get replacements. Plus,, the adjusters break constantly.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With every manufacturer you are going to get the occasional issue with the product. I have the RS9000XL shocks and I wouldn't have it any other way. Best shock i've ever put on a rig. I also have the 2" rancho lift and it exceeded my expectations both on and off the road.

I think you'll find that if you google rancho products, 90% of the reviews are very positive. There's a reason for that.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

......And the reason is....a lack of experience with a better product. Rancho was the best game going in the 80's. I just think they have failed to keep up with modern advancements and as a result, there are better products out there. Although,, I'm glad you have a better experience with them.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sigh....
Mistakes happen, thankfully very rarely. I am constantly looking for issues and rarely hear about them online.
Why do the adjusters break? Oh yeah they get hit by a rock, the fix? Turn them around. Weird and you can still adjust them!!!
We have been in the off-road game for almost 60 years. We aren't just Jeeps, but the full platform. We take this serious, we aren't always first to mark for a reason. We TEST our products for durability and longevity.
Take for example the new Dodge diesel.... we have had this system ready to go since early spring, but we are testing it before we launch it. Same goes for the JK platform we are constantly improving our systems and our shocks.
There is a reason we have been around for that long, and thank the customers who return.

Originally Posted by big dr
I personally would stay away from anything Rancho. I will never forget when my buddy chose their 9000 adjustable shocks. When we opened the boxes, 3 of 4 of the clear bags they come in were full of the oil that is supposed to be inside the shock. Not a good thing when your trying to complete the lift in one day and you have to drive 50 min to get replacements. Plus,, the adjusters break constantly.

Quick Reply: Rancho or BDS/Fox Suspension Lift Kit