Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho 7000 Shocks

Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancho 7000 Shocks

Installed some new Rancho's last night and just wanted to warn others before they do the same. I'm happy with the shocks and with the better ride they have produced...BUT the rear shocks were a pain to install due to the fact that the bushings on the bottom are too wide for the factory mount. Ended up banging on the mount with a sledge and grinding the bushings down. Not sure if this has been covered and sorry if it's a repeat but wanted to let others know about this design flaw.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rtittsworth
Installed some new Rancho's last night and just wanted to warn others before they do the same. I'm happy with the shocks and with the better ride they have produced...BUT the rear shocks were a pain to install due to the fact that the bushings on the bottom are too wide for the factory mount. Ended up banging on the mount with a sledge and grinding the bushings down. Not sure if this has been covered and sorry if it's a repeat but wanted to let others know about this design flaw.
Hmm... I will pass this info on to our guys. I have installed two sets on JK's this year and one on a YJ no issues.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rancho
Hmm... I will pass this info on to our guys. I have installed two sets on JK's this year and one on a YJ no issues.
Didn't mean to make a bad name for Rancho. I'll continue to buy your products. Just wanted to let others know what I went through. I have a 2010 Unlimited Sport if that makes any difference. Once we grinded the bushings completely down they slipped right in.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

None taken at all!
I will update once I hear back from my engineers, usually here back in a day or so from them.
They are busy working on the 2014 Chevy 1500 suspension, Chevrolet really made it interesting this go around....

Originally Posted by Rtittsworth
Didn't mean to make a bad name for Rancho. I'll continue to buy your products. Just wanted to let others know what I went through. I have a 2010 Unlimited Sport if that makes any difference. Once we grinded the bushings completely down they slipped right in.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought a set of four RS9000xl's for my 2013 JKU rubicon and I have the same problem. The odd thing is that one of the rear shocks fit and the other one was too wide for both rear mounts.

Is it ok to grind the metal sleeve to make it fit?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by mbmcdonald
I just bought a set of four RS9000xl's for my 2013 JKU rubicon and I have the same problem. The odd thing is that one of the rear shocks fit and the other one was too wide for both rear mounts.

Is it ok to grind the metal sleeve to make it fit?
Yep, shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:54 PM
MTR
JK Newbie

Rancho definitely has a quality control or acceptable tolerances issue because I had the same problem with my XLs. One shock slid in just fine but the other had to be grounded down with a Dremel to get it to fit. I was pretty disappointed that I had to modify the part to install it, but I was so far into the lift and shock install I didn't want to have to hassle with a return.

Otherwise they have been a good shock.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MTR
Rancho definitely has a quality control or acceptable tolerances issue because I had the same problem with my XLs. One shock slid in just fine but the other had to be grounded down with a Dremel to get it to fit. I was pretty disappointed that I had to modify the part to install it, but I was so far into the lift and shock install I didn't want to have to hassle with a return.

Otherwise they have been a good shock.
Good to know, thank you. Yes, I was midway through putting them on and was very frustrated to run into that. I'll grid it and give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

Rancho has always had issues with their shocks!! I tried to install some on a buddy's jku and had all the same fitment issues , and,, 3 of the 4 shocks were in their plastic wrapper in the box,, COVERED IN OIL!! All the seals had leaked out in the box prior to delivery. Got replacements,, and 2 of the 3 replacements had the same oil leak problems. I would never buy a Rancho shock! I may however purchase their oil pan skid plate.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Think I'd pass on grinding.

Quick Reply: Rancho 7000 Shocks