Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho 4" sport lift

Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancho 4" sport lift

I have read some threads from a while ago , have any installed, run and have an opinion on the Rancho 4" sport lift kit ?

I may be at the end of the line with my Zone 4" lift ( costomer service was out standing) but if I cant get it sorted out I may need to change kits.

Any info much appreciated !

Regards,
Mike.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you planning to take your Jeep off road? If so, don't get the "sport lift". I test drove several Jeeps that had this lift installed by the dealership. It's great for mall crawling, but not for any real off roading. It had zero flex. My sales guy wanted to show me how capable the Jeep was, so he took me on their little homemade off road course. I couldn't get out of that thing fast enough! We just about flipped over every time he tried to flex it. Now, I've never owned this lift, so maybe somebody else can tell you otherwise.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was the sway bar connected? sounds odd. I think the control arm brackets are smart. I think it is a nice kit for the cash
Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default Well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After lift install and alignment I was getting ESP premature firing as well as some what severe bump steer ( bad shaking through the steering wheel when hitting pumps/pot holes on the freeway). They sent me a bigger adj front track bar and I installed but it actually made it worse. they then sent me a drop pitman arm + relocation bracket so I could use my factory front track bar. This loosened up my front end quite a bit but ESP and bump steer still their. They have been working hard to get this resolved but I'm not sure what more they can do at this point.

I do most of my driving on street, I do not want my jeep to feel like I'm driving my old lifted 76 blazer. The factory suspension set up was fantastic I wanted a lift for looks as much as anything I'm afraid to admit. It looks great lifted 4" but rides like crap. I need to find a decent lift that rides well on street as can handle light off road.

Last edited by Goblin; 07-13-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the rancho sport kit is actually a good kit and one that will offer a comfortable factory like ride and handling. as far as flex goes, i'm sure it may not be stellar by comparison to other kits but i have to agree with bigbluejk that the sway bar was most likely not disconnected.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you WOL !!!

WOL if you say its a good kit for what I'm looking for then that is the direction I am going...thanks a million for your feedback !

Would you have any other sugestions in the same general arina to add or do you think the Rancho Sport is the stand out for what I want ? Just don't want to miss anything.

Best Reagrds,
Mike.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Goblin
WOL if you say its a good kit for what I'm looking for then that is the direction I am going...thanks a million for your feedback !

Would you have any other sugestions in the same general arina to add or do you think the Rancho Sport is the stand out for what I want ? Just don't want to miss anything.

Best Reagrds,
Mike.
for what you have described, yes, i would say that it is a good kit for your purposes. with the relcation brackets it comes with, your suspension geometery will be that of stock again and your ride and handling on pavement should be very nice.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default Ok WOL

That is enough for me, if I had listened to you the first time I would not be in this mess....not making that mistake again ! thanks again WOL rancho Sport here I come !

I will post after I do the install to let everyone know how it went !

Also Zone's customer service was out standing, sending free track bars, drop pitman arm , relocation brackets. I cant say enough good things about their customer service I really cant! their 4" lift just does not work for me and my needs !
Old 07-13-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default Ok last question for everyone

Any susgestions where to buy the rancho 4" sport kit for a good price ? Any one having any sales going on ?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bone
Are you planning to take your Jeep off road? If so, don't get the "sport lift". I test drove several Jeeps that had this lift installed by the dealership. It's great for mall crawling, but not for any real off roading. It had zero flex. My sales guy wanted to show me how capable the Jeep was, so he took me on their little homemade off road course. I couldn't get out of that thing fast enough! We just about flipped over every time he tried to flex it. Now, I've never owned this lift, so maybe somebody else can tell you otherwise.
i know we call them lift kits, but really all they are are 4 springs with 4 shocks, some of them have arms (the basic ones don't) rancho sport kit is the only one with brackets for the arms, it is actually a pretty smart design, first thing I would have checked is if it was discoed.

Quick Reply: Rancho 4" sport lift