Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho 4 inch sport lift help

Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancho 4 inch sport lift help

Hello everyone,

So, after reading as much as I can I have decided to go with the Rancho 4inch sport lift with the RS9000 shocks, but I need some help.

First thing. I read a thread where evo posted that they have installed the lift with the longer travel shocks(RS999331 front RS999332 rear)from the short/long arm kits and got the same articutlation as those kits. I researched the shocks and they are a little over an inch longer than the shocks for the sport kit but, the bar pin specs are different for the rear shocks. The distance between the mounting holes is 1/4 further apart on the long travel shocks.
My questions about this are:

1: Are the bar pin specs a mistake? I think they mount the same way in all the kits.

1: Do the bar pins come out, if so how and can I use the ones from my current shocks in the Rancho's?

2: Would bar pin eliminators work?

3: Do I need to extend the bumpstops and extra inch for the shock length.

My next questions are about the sway bar drop brackets.

Is there an issue with using extended links instead of the drop brackets for the swaybars and are the rears long enough to use in the front until I get some discos?

OK more questions I know, I know I'm being a pain is the ass, but......

I have also read that a drag link flip is prefered to the drop pitman arm.

Is the TeraFlex kit necesary and worth the money or do I just need a kit that comes with just the one arm. I havn't done much reading about drag link flips so, I'm clueless. Please make suggestions for what I really need?

Next is control arms.

I didn't see anything in the kit directions about a way to correct caster or camber and thought it wasn't necesary with this kit, but the end of the directions suggest adjustments.

How do I make adjustments?

If I decide to add control arms down the road to dial everything in will they work with the drop brackets?

What are the effects to the rear suspension without any adjustments, because it appears nothing is changed in the rear?

Drive shaft time.

Nothing in the directions is mentioned about driveshafts. I have an automatic 2 door, so I must NEED a front shaft. I would like someone to tell me I'm wrong, please?

Any need for a rear driveshaft?

I know this is a bunch of stuff, but I really could use the help. Maybe WayofLife, Rancho and EVO could chime in, as well and anyone else that has installed this lift. The price after the rebate is just to good to pass up, even if I need to add links, driveshaft, drag link flip and even control arms. These are things I would need to add down the road to most $600 kits anyway.

Thanks for the schooling in advance,
Gary

Last edited by ASSFROW; 04-09-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have this...

Tenneco of Monroe Michigan, owner of the Rancho brand and many other brands of things you find under vehicles, has teams of engineers and designers. I have no idea if the mods you are considering will work or not but you should consult an expert. Rancho is one lift manufacturer who stands by their products IF used according to their instructions. When you deviate you take on the responsibility yourself. Some things I know for sure:

1) (Your 3) When using longer than recommended shocks with a given spring, longer bump stops are recommended so when your springs pop out your wheels won’t slam against your fenders. Jeeps don’t ride too good without springs. Spring retainers may help but don’t make them an essential part of your design.

2) Rancho discos for the 4” lift (RS6756B) do not require the sway bar drop brackets. They are 4” longer than stock.

3) Drag link flip? How does that change the drag link dimensions? It’s very important that the drag link and the track bar remain parallel during travel. If not you will get bump-steer. A flip is not the same as a drop. (Ask any cheer leader)

4) Caster is adjusted on the Rancho Sport Lift the same way as on a stock JK: DON’T! Although cam bolts can be used (and some lifts require them) I have heard they are unreliable. Rancho designed their kit to compensate for the lift so you really shouldn’t need adjustment. It’s still a good idea to check.

5) The rear track bar bracket (176440B) keeps your rear end on track. No other adjustment necessary.

6) I don’t know about drive shafts on the 2-door. They are not needed on my Unlimited. I’m sure if you push this kit beyond factory design (shocks) you will have problems with the stock shaft.

The really neat thing about the Rancho 4” Sport Lift is that it comes with everything you need predesigned for optimal performance. Mixing parts from other manufacturers or deviating from Rancho’s recommended shocks, parts, tires, etc., is just asking for trouble. Of course if you have an automotive engineering degree and dynamic vehicle modeling software, please ignore everything I’ve posted above.

I have the Rancho 4" Sport Lift with discos and steering stabilizer & bracket (will help with 35" tires). Just waiting for new wheels and tires to arrive before installing.

Quick Reply: Rancho 4 inch sport lift help