Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rancho 4-inch sport lift driveshaft questions.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new 4" sport suspension has brake line extensions already.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Curiosity
If you aren't going to disconnect the front sway bar and go rock crawling or climb through trenches, you don't have anything to worry about w/ the front drive shaft. The whole problem with the front ds is that the longer shocks + a disconnected swaybar = more droop than factory specs were made for so the driveshaft contacts the transmission skid and tears the boot that seals the two sections of the driveshaft. So as long as the curbs she'll be crawling at the mall aren't too big I think you'll be alright.
Not only the boot, but keep an eye for the Rzeppa joint out of the transfer case. The angle slowly eats it up, and if you disconnect and droop to the max, this is the result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3044822918.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	329134

Again, it is not a Rancho-specific problem, it will happen under those conditions with any 4"+ lift.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Super Freak

So if not replacing the drive shaft, whats the solution? Never disconnect?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 JKUR with the Rancho 4" Sport Lift and Zone exhaust spacers. Still running stock driveshaft. Granted my Jeep is only a couple of months old and only off-road 1x so far, but I did flex it out and there were no markings or interference with the driveshaft and the exhaust.

So if this is your wive's Jeep and not expected to go off-roading, then you will be fine. Otherwise get the exhaust spacer for cheap to gain a bit of clearance. Driveshaft will be fine.

If in the future you start doing more off-road and flexing and then the driveshaft starts to fail, replace it then.

Otherwise save the money and do another mod.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This right here, if you find yourself pushing the JK down the road keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted by kingoneyl
I have a 2012 JKUR with the Rancho 4" Sport Lift and Zone exhaust spacers. Still running stock driveshaft. Granted my Jeep is only a couple of months old and only off-road 1x so far, but I did flex it out and there were no markings or interference with the driveshaft and the exhaust.

So if this is your wive's Jeep and not expected to go off-roading, then you will be fine. Otherwise get the exhaust spacer for cheap to gain a bit of clearance. Driveshaft will be fine.

If in the future you start doing more off-road and flexing and then the driveshaft starts to fail, replace it then.

Otherwise save the money and do another mod.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rancho
This right here, if you find yourself pushing the JK down the road keep an eye on it.
The kit that I bought with the rebate, does that come with brake line extensions?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Donovanl1685
The kit that I bought with the rebate, does that come with brake line extensions?
my 4" sport lift did not come with longer brake lines, but did come with drop brackets for them and i've never needed anything more. They do get really tight at full droop when the sway bar is discoed and i'm on the rocks, but that probably isn't going to be an issue for you. Not to mention, your 2011 has longer brake lines to start out with in the front if you just free them up.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Curiosity
my 4" sport lift did not come with longer brake lines, but did come with drop brackets for them and i've never needed anything more. They do get really tight at full droop when the sway bar is discoed and i'm on the rocks, but that probably isn't going to be an issue for you. Not to mention, your 2011 has longer brake lines to start out with in the front if you just free them up.
Thanks that helps a lot... Is there anything you think I'll need.. Traction bar?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Donovanl1685
Thanks that helps a lot... Is there anything you think I'll need.. Traction bar?
You probably wont NEED an adjustable trackbar, but that is something that i would recommend. The track bar takes a lot of force and a drop bracket multiplies it by adding leverage against the track bar mount. If you're going to off-road it any, i would definitely upgrade the trackbar. Even for mall crawling, an adjustable track bar would still be a good idea because if the track bar bracket works itself loose it could cause the dreaded death wobble (took me weeks to remove the stain on my seat cover after I got it for the first time). Not to mention the pitman arm would have to be swapped if you use the trackbar drop bracket to maintain proper steering geometry, which is a real pain in the ass and requires a pitman arm puller... It also puts more strain on the steering box by adding leverage.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

So the new 4 inch rancho sport kit I bought has the longer brake lines and an adjustable trackbar. Also you dont need to change the dreaded pitman arm, it maintains the stock one.

Quick Reply: Rancho 4-inch sport lift driveshaft questions.