Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ram Assist Steering

Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Dog
There prices are reasonable. Are you using one of their units?
Yes, I'm running the stage III complete kit, with the new pump & haven't had any problems. I did add a Cooler just to be sure it didn't over heat.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use your stock pump could you add a larger pulley to get more volume?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Been running the redneck ram for awhile. Stock pump. Not twitchy at all. I trusted it enough to let my Wife drive my jeep 1700 miles from Mississippi to utah. Said it drove like a caddy.
If you try to go lock to lock real fast it has a slight lag. Otherwise its been great.
I made a custom bracket for my PR 44 that pushes towards the knuckle so it would quit bending tie rods in the middle.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChesterJFK
If you use your stock pump could you add a larger pulley to get more volume?
i believe you would need a smaller pulley so it rotates faster..
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
what size ram did you use? i am at about 200 ish in parts and will be doing my own on the stock box. I have heard on the 1.5" ram its not bad, but 1.75 it is.
Mine is a 1.5. It was good for everything,, except at slow speed when you needed to turn the wheel fast,,, it would bind up,, but you learn to drive in a manor that avoids the bind. It will work for you untill you can manage the pump,,, I ran with mine like that for almost a year. Good luck!!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I rebuilt our steer gear with parts from Red Neck,drilled and tapped as well,used PSC ram and pump kit,works like a champ.The problem with the stock pump is at idle,or crawling it just does not have the volume needed to move the tires.Red Neck can tell you how to increase pressure on your stock pump or go with the pump kit from PSC,with this kit now at idle you can turn the tires with one hand also at high rpm it won't have cavitation,a big problem when trying to figure which pulley works
Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

After getting your inputs and reading a bit I know that I can get the steering box repaired and add two ports for the ram and later I will get the ram, Pump, Cooler and reservoir. I hate to give my wife sticker shock so I might get a couple of the parts at a time. Thanks for the input. I trust you guy more than an article that can be bias.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

I have to say that WTO was great at helping me trouble shoot and answer questions while I was installing my setup. They took there time with me on the phone and helped figure stuff out.
Ended up I had a bad steering box and they had me another one shipped out in no time!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
I have to say that WTO was great at helping me trouble shoot and answer questions while I was installing my setup. They took there time with me on the phone and helped figure stuff out.
Ended up I had a bad steering box and they had me another one shipped out in no time!
It’s surprisingly nice when a company actually has that kind of commitment. Nice photo a few post back too.

Quick Reply: Ram Assist Steering