Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ram Assist Steering

Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ram Assist Steering

My 09 Rubicon’s steering box is giving it up and will need to be replaced soon. I am thinking of going with a ram assist because I do play on the rocks more times than not. I was looking at Howe and PSC. They both look good, but I was hoping to get some info from some of you that have ram assist steering mounted to their rigs.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Redneck Ram from West Texas Offroad Best bang for your buck.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SF Nick
Redneck Ram from West Texas Offroad Best bang for your buck.
There prices are reasonable. Are you using one of their units?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The psc kit is expensive but is very well engineered and is pretty much a bolt on and you are good kit and is not noticeable from running the stock set up. I don't know of anyone running a Howe set up on a JK.

You can go the redneck ram way and save some money but is not as refined and people I know that run it feel the steering is a bit twitchy.
You can also port your own box and source your own parts for around $300 There are threads out there on doing that with a simple google search.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You can also port your own box and source your own parts for around $300 There are threads out there on doing that with a simple google search.
This. I don't have my ram mounted yet, but it is incredibly easy to drill and tap your own box. Only took about an hour to do. With a dual pass cooler, psc ram, hydro lines and all necessary fittings, I have less than $300 invested.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the porting of the steering box with a PSC ram and, although awesome,, at slow speeds the stock steering pump does not push the volume of fluid necessary for proper operation. At slow speeds the steering would bind up a little bit. I recently put on the PSC high volume pump and it is a world of difference! Smooth, 1 pinky steering is the result! In my opinion,, if your going to do the ram,, do the pump. I dealt with the bad manors of binding steering for almost a year before correcting the problem. Avoid my mistake!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by big dr
I did the porting of the steering box with a PSC ram and, although awesome,, at slow speeds the stock steering pump does not push the volume of fluid necessary for proper operation. At slow speeds the steering would bind up a little bit. I recently put on the PSC high volume pump and it is a world of difference! Smooth, 1 pinky steering is the result! In my opinion,, if your going to do the ram,, do the pump. I dealt with the bad manors of binding steering for almost a year before correcting the problem. Avoid my mistake!
what size ram did you use? i am at about 200 ish in parts and will be doing my own on the stock box. I have heard on the 1.5" ram its not bad, but 1.75 it is.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Need a new pump and res?, PSC.... otherwise, you'd be stupidly throwing money away to not go WTO.

Money that could be spent on beer, sex, and drugs.

Dealing with both companies in the past, I'd have to give a HUGE margin to the WTO customer service department, not that PSC is bad, it is just that WTO is amazing.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by big dr
It make sense to me that you would need a higher volume pump because you are expecting a pump and box designed to pushing one thing to now push two.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled the trigger on the PSC pump. May add the RAM later but did not have the $$.

at slow RPM's my steering would just "Fade". if I ran the RPM up a little it would come back.

Quick Reply: Ram Assist Steering