Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ram assist, need expert advice.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockTurtle

One thing that you get with the WTO kit is your steering box completely rebuilt w/ a new sector shaft, on top of being tapped for the lines. They also have a service where they will tap the box and rebuild it for 130 usd. If you have a Delphi box (09+) it's plenty worth it, just in case.

alright, I will meditate on that. Both the spare box I have and the one on my jeeps are Delphi if I believe in what you say. The spare come from a 2012, and my jk's a 2016.

If I ever send them to rebuild and tap, I will send the spare one, since I'm a long way from them lol.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by holeshot
alright, I will meditate on that. Both the spare box I have and the one on my jeeps are Delphi if I believe in what you say. The spare come from a 2012, and my jk's a 2016.

If I ever send them to rebuild and tap, I will send the spare one, since I'm a long way from them lol.
I've run a WTOR setup for the past two seasons and can happily endorse their work & components. I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery at the time so I had a local fab shop install the kit. Like the OP I had a second box, the orginal Delphi off my '09. Sent it to them and got back their standard kit with box mods, hoses, ram, fittings & hoses, brackets etc. We did things a bit differently for the install. For the ram mounts we used the existing Synergy stabilizer bracket and a heim misalignment spacer on the axle side, plus a PSC clamp at the tie rod. My installer builds rock buggies & race trucks, very familiar with hydraulic steering of all types. He fabricated higher quality lines. After running it a bit I added a Derale dual-pass heat sink cooler. All came together splendidly, one of the best mods on the rig.

Will mention that it is important to ensure the system is fully bled. This wasn't my first time bleeding a power steering system but it was rather obstinate. PSC has a set of instructions on their web site that works splendidly and I'd recommend the procedure to anyone adding a ram-assist.

Another tip when bleeding a JK steering sytem, if there's air in the system it will cause the reservoir to overflow during the bleed routine. If you don;t plan for it and catch it the mess is incredible and very difficult to clean up. Be sure to pack a lot of rags round the top of the reservoir and replace them frequently or you'll have a curse fest. A trick I learned, put an oil fill funnel with a large enough spout to fit inside the opening of the reservoir. Tape it in place. When you do your bleed routine the fluid will rise up into the funnel, then drain back down into the system. I currently have a dripping JK sitting in the garage begging me to clean up the power steering fluid mess...learn from my mistake!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Delphi are the early boxes. 07-08 I believe. After that, it's Chinese boxes. The Chinese boxes are not rebuildable.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Delphi are the early boxes. 07-08 I believe. After that, it's Chinese boxes. The Chinese boxes are not rebuildable.
Pretty sure you can swap all the seals but you can't rebuild or replace the sector shaft
Old 12-21-2015, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

I just got the West Texas Offroad Stage 2 kit installed and did a test drive the other day. It is a little slow, but almost like stock at slow or idle speeds. No complaints or concerns at the stage.

There is a hole on the steering pump that you can bore over to increase flow, I have not checked to see the diameter yet. I want to try it and change a little at a time.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by holeshot

I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that... but I meant the Chinese box...Must have been late at night... oops.

Delphi's only came in the 07-08 models.

Contrary to popular belief, the China boxes are rebuildable. Problem is that no one seems to carry the necessary parts. Call up WTO, they CAN sell you the seals, etc., but they prefer not to unless you're experienced in steering boxes because the China boxes are really easy to screw up, apparently. I THINK WTO also replaces the sector shaft when you send it to them as well. If you want to know more, call them directly. When my buddy was inquiring about his, they were super helpful.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Delphis run into early '09 model year, 2008 build dates.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

07 (non coated/rusted) which i believe indicates a Delphi box?

Quick Reply: Ram assist, need expert advice.