Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rain in snorkel...

Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the PNW and installed the snorkel after xmas before a snow trip. I have the pre-filter bowl w/my AEV. The bowl captured ~3" of snow before it was full, then I just pulled over emptied it and was on my way again. Same thing happens in heavy rain here, but it's never made it to the top of the bowl. Inside of my airbox is bone dry, but I went a little nuts with the silicone sealant. I'm extremely impressed with the engineering behind the AEV kit, everything fit perfectly and the directions were clear. The pre-filter bowl takes some getting used to visually but I'm glad I got it over the ram.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 AM
JK Newbie

I have the AEV with Pre-Filter and absolutely love it, i am glad i went with the PRE-Filter and not the ram. It gives it a full throated sound as well, you can really hear it breathing!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I have had the Pre-filter on mine for some time now and the air box is still dry as a bone. Just have to clean out the bowl regularly as mentioned before
Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the input guys, still undecided if i want the ram air or the prefilter.. and im also undecided if i really wanna take a holesaw and grinder to my hood!!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeep20x
thanks for the input guys, still undecided if i want the ram air or the prefilter.. and im also undecided if i really wanna take a holesaw and grinder to my hood!!
I was a little nervous about it too but as long as you take your time to measure, tap, and step-up the holes w/the holesaw it's easy. The cut-off wheel takes a little more patience and skill but the supplied trim piece by AEV gives you ~1/8" tolerance to screw something up. I missed my line by 1/16" in some places and it still closes flush and looks perfect.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

ok, ok i think i"ll just man up and order one as soon as i get my tax refund. seems like a lot of love for the prefilter over the ram air any particular reason why?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any water going in is sucked into the engine. Unless you attempt to feed it water with your garden hose, you have nothing to worry about. I drove my camaro with scoop and blower out of the hood in bad rain and never any issues. Aside from this, small amounts of water actually will boost hp by upping the compression. This has been used in many engines in history to include vintage prop planes which leads me to think you will be fine with some rain drops.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm seriously considering a snorkel but can't decide which way to go. I was sold on the prefilter cause there's so much dirt and dust when it's dry, but how does it hold up in heavy a$$ rain? I saw some people here say it's not big deal, but what about driving in rain where you can't see the edge of your hood for an hour or two? It gets that way here during hurricane season. I really like the "just turn the ram head backwards" idea.

I haven't done a lot of research yet so I may sound ignorant, sorry in advance
Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rusman161
I'm seriously considering a snorkel but can't decide which way to go. I was sold on the prefilter cause there's so much dirt and dust when it's dry, but how does it hold up in heavy a$$ rain? I saw some people here say it's not big deal, but what about driving in rain where you can't see the edge of your hood for an hour or two? It gets that way here during hurricane season. I really like the "just turn the ram head backwards" idea.

I haven't done a lot of research yet so I may sound ignorant, sorry in advance

I have driven in extreme snowfall conditions at highway speeds and even in downpouring rain with my ramair snorkel with no issues at all. If you are concerned about it with a Ram-air system....just spin the snorkel ram-air tip to face backwards on dusty trails or heavy rain/snow conditions.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 01-31-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Rain in snorkel...