Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rain in snorkel...

Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain in snorkel...

I have been thinking about getting a snorkel, but I think I remember seeing something about someone having problems with rain causing problems with theirs. Can anyone explain how driving in pouring rain won't hurt my Jeep? Do the snorkels have some kind of design that stops it?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

The intake tube is a little bit higher, therefore water can't go down the tube

Also, many snorkels have a water drain system

Last edited by Yoda; 11-10-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

according to AEV, and this is not a direct quote, just my understanding... the Ram-Air head is wider than the top of the intake tube.. water travels around the sides of the intake tube out weep holes and dry air goes down the tube...

I have had a snorkel for about a year and never had a problem. I keep the ram air facing forward in all types of weather.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Years ago I opened up the shaker hood on my Trans Am. Back when I used to drive it in the rain (not any more, it's a 10th Anniversary Edition with only 47K miles), I never had a problem with it. And remember, early Trans Ams came from the factory with that shaker hood open. The water just goes right through the engine ...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsig
We have a ton of rain down here and I have never seen a drop in my air box..
WOW WHAT A SWEET PIC. LOVE HOW THE SPLASH IS LONGER THAN THE JEEP. ON THE WATER IN THE SNORKEL THING, EVEN IF A BIT GETS IN IT ENTERS THE BOTTOM OF THE AIR FILTER BOX AND WOULD HAVE TO BE ALOT OF WATER TO UP THROUGH THE FILTER BEFORE DRAINING OUT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Christiana, Tennessee, United States, United States

I had a snorkle on myTJ for two years and it was DD never a problem with rain in the airbox.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Years ago I opened up the shaker hood on my Trans Am. Back when I used to drive it in the rain (not any more, it's a 10th Anniversary Edition with only 47K miles), I never had a problem with it. And remember, early Trans Ams came from the factory with that shaker hood open. The water just goes right through the engine ...

That's a nice lookin '79. I see you have the Olds 403. Those things would FLY.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
WOW WHAT A SWEET PIC. LOVE HOW THE SPLASH IS LONGER THAN THE JEEP. ON THE WATER IN THE SNORKEL THING, EVEN IF A BIT GETS IN IT ENTERS THE BOTTOM OF THE AIR FILTER BOX AND WOULD HAVE TO BE ALOT OF WATER TO UP THROUGH THE FILTER BEFORE DRAINING OUT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX.
Bottom of the air box is sealed. If it wasn't the snorkel wouldn't be of any use at all.
If you are worried about water getting into the snorkel turn the ram head around the other direction or get the bowl.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

i have opened mine at different times to see and its always dry
Old 11-10-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
You don't have to type in all caps. We can read!

I didn't know water drained out of the air box...
If water could get out, couldn't water get in?

Quick Reply: Rain in snorkel...