Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rain Covers for Going Topless

Old 09-13-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Covers for Going Topless

I can't find any current discussions about rain covers when caught topless. Maybe the options haven't changed much? No new ideas?

Anyway, can anyone recommend a great rain cover for when I'm topless and doorless? I'm wondering....how do you keep the rain from making a lake right between the window frame and the roll bar? How would you drain it w/o accidentally dumping the water all over your seats when you go to take the cover off?
Old 09-13-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My reply is not for a cover while driving I have the best top rain cover for when I park it and it happens to rain.

I made out of 1 inch PVC pipe brace that goes across the front seats. The long and short of it I got two 2 inch T and cut it so it would brace against the roll bar. The pipe between the roll bar is about and inch wider then distance so it has an upward bow. It does not allow the water to pool. Maybe $10 in parts.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckie515
My reply is not for a cover while driving I have the best top rain cover for when I park it and it happens to rain. I made out of 1 inch PVC pipe brace that goes across the front seats. The long and short of it I got two 2 inch T and cut it so it would brace against the roll bar. The pipe between the roll bar is about and inch wider then distance so it has an upward bow. It does not allow the water to pool. Maybe $10 in parts. Hope this helps.
That's what I meant.....a cover for when I'm parked.
I like your idea with the PVC pipe....simple! Thanks!

The 3 covers I had in mind were from Rain Gear, Bestop, and/or Smitybilt (though I've never been very fond of much from Smitybilt).
Old 09-13-2014, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, another question I have and to be more specific about the type of covers I've been looking at.......I wasn't really interesting in one that covers the entire Jeep....those covers are too big and take up too much room. I want one that just covers the cab area and the door area for when the doors are off.

Here's my question, all the pictures I see appear as though the cover is fitting into the soft top rear tub channels. Since I only have a hard top, I don't have channels for anything to fit into. Are these cab-only covers only for those with soft top tub channels?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Besttop all weather trail cover sounds like what youi're looking for. I've had mine for several years, works great. I take off the frames when I'm doorless, so you don't need those. They probably might make the fit worse anyway. I may have to try the PVC idea, although I've never had a lot trouble with water pooling on the top.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

So without soft top channels, what holds the cover down over the rear of the tub?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have the channels they are built into the tub. Feel under where your hard top rests, you will feel them. I have both tops btw so no modification needed to switch back and forth. This being said with the understanding you have all the needed parts that come with that package.

I wouldn't try and put the best top over a hard top it won't fit. It doesn't fit if you have the soft top up. I did that once to be lazy and not put the windows back in or fold the sunrider back.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE="truckie515;3981279"]You have the channels they are built into the tub. Feel under where your hard top rests, you will feel them.

Really? That little ledge is enough to keep a soft top, or in this case, a rain cover down? Obviously there's some type of bar that would have to go along the tailgate if I were to get a tonneau cover or something. Because there ain't no ledge along the tailgate.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oops, I good in replying to your last remark, Truckie. What I wrote looks like part of what you wrote.
This part was supposed to be separate of yours... "Really? That little ledge is enough to keep a soft top, or in this case, a rain cover down? Obviously there's some type of bar that would have to go along the tailgate if I were to get a tonneau cover or something. Because there ain't no ledge along the tailgate."
Old 09-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

The bestop has worked great me. If it sags due water pooling you can just undo one, slide in and push up where it pools and the water runs off. Obviously the top won't be dry when you fold it up and move on but the next nice day you simply unfold it and let it sit in the sun for a bit. The channels on the side hold it, the rear uses a strap the connects to bottom of the tailgate... There's a little extra material there so water doesn't get in at the top of the gate. And the sides by the door do about the same thing. Some water gets in the floorboard on mine but I think most of that is due to my mirrors. I've have nice since early 2009

Quick Reply: Rain Covers for Going Topless