Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Radio install problem

Old 11-13-2019, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Radio install problem

I finally got around to updating the new radio. I had to pick it up after hrs. I have a big problem with the USB plug in and was told later they can't do it..I Say BS,,,,, The installed a cord with a USB connector with a lead that comes out the bottom of the dash...Why the Hell is their not a plug? They could hooked up to one of my cig lighter in the dash??It bites when you live in the mountains and have to drive so far to get anything done!! Isn't their a way? It's not rocket science! Any help would be highly appreciated! This really has me pissed off..
Old 11-14-2019, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There is a way. Pull out the lower trim piece down by the shifter, pull off the top piece by the dash. This will expose some bolts. Remove the bolts and give the vents a twist, they'll come out. Then pull (gently but firmly) towards the top and bottom of the center dash piece. The whole thing will start coming forward but your AC things are still hooked up and the item between your vents will need to be watched. Once you've got that set then you should be able to run the cord where you'd like to and if you need to dremel out a corner for the cord, so be it. I think I'd prefer a longer cord to go to either the glovebox (my last jeep had an iPod that lived in the glovebox) or down across and to the center console (I frequently set my phone by the parking brake because it's too big with a case to go in the cup holder).

My directions are spot on but tough to follow with just words. I'd suggest you check out Quadratec or Crutchfield for their radio install guides and you should be able to get pictures to go with it.....or even the YouTube maybe.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
There is a way. Pull out the lower trim piece down by the shifter, pull off the top piece by the dash. This will expose some bolts. Remove the bolts and give the vents a twist, they'll come out. Then pull (gently but firmly) towards the top and bottom of the center dash piece. The whole thing will start coming forward but your AC things are still hooked up and the item between your vents will need to be watched. Once you've got that set then you should be able to run the cord where you'd like to and if you need to dremel out a corner for the cord, so be it. I think I'd prefer a longer cord to go to either the glovebox (my last jeep had an iPod that lived in the glovebox) or down across and to the center console (I frequently set my phone by the parking brake because it's too big with a case to go in the cup holder).

My directions are spot on but tough to follow with just words. I'd suggest you check out Quadratec or Crutchfield for their radio install guides and you should be able to get pictures to go with it.....or even the YouTube maybe.
Thanks I will go to the site and check...
Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Go figure I can't find the instructions on either site at the moment but I know both offer it. Crutchfield has free lifetime support and Qtec has instructions somewhere because I have a copy of them printed out in my cabinet somewhere.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go figure I can't find the instructions on either site at the moment but I know both offer it. Crutchfield has free lifetime support and Qtec has instructions somewhere because I have a copy of them printed out in my cabinet somewhere.
Thank You I am in no hurry.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

You've got mail!
The following users liked this post:
Dinky Dau (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast