Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Racks for Kayaks

Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Racks for Kayaks

I am about to pull the trigger on buying the YAKIMA Hard Top Roof Track Rack from Quadratec for my jeep, and am looking to see if anyone has any advice.

I really need it to carry kayaks in the summer and skis in the winter. I love the Gobi Ranger Rack, but can't afford it. I totally see the advantage to the larger racks like one made by the Gobi, Warrior Products, Kargomaster, etc. such as being able to take the top off, or use a soft top. But being that I have a hard top only I am thinking of just putting crossbars on my top.

If I ever get a soft top, I guess I will have to figure out the kayak thing all over again. (assuming I get the crossbars)

The alternatives to Gobi all seem to permanently drill into the jeep, which I'm not crazy about and the lower end ones don't come with crossbars, leaving me to spend more money to accessorize their product for my needs.

Second to Gobi, I really like the MBRP rack, but again, I can't afford it and for the cash I would want the freedom of using my rack with a soft top.

As you can see I keep going around in circles with this.

Thoughts anyone??
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at the Surco Safari rack at quadratec?
I've been considering this cause there is no drilling.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No, I hadn't seen that, but does it have to have the basket on always?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horrocks007
No, I hadn't seen that, but does it have to have the basket on always?
Don't think so. I also have been looking. Need to transport kayaks as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was just on their website and it looks like you don't need to have the basket attached. I would probably still run a couple stabilizers from crossbar to crossbar.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I installed the Thule system on mine and also thinking about kayaks when having the soft top.

So, for this, considering using a RR windshield light bar as front support and a rack extension that attaches to the hitch receiver for the back. Both Thule and Yakima make them. Since kayaks are light this should work fine. And on a budget. ;-)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just purchased the Yakima rack system from Quadratec (Thanks Joe!)

The install was really easy as long as you can handle a drill and don't mind drilling into your hard top (One recommendation if you install with the top on, lay down some plastic to protect your seats and interior from the dripping silicone). I too purchased this system because A) I couldn't afford anything more expensive and B) I needed to carry Kayaks and C) I originally was looking into the gutter racks to install but they couldn't hold the weight of a kayak or two.

I have not had a chance to test the system out with my Kayaks but plan on doing so this weekend assuming the weather holds out. I can post up a better review after that.

The system does not come with locks for the bar mounts but the bar mounts are quick release so they may not be needed for your needs. My dad had an extra set of locks so I didn't need to buy any.

All in all I am happy with the product, the install, the look, price, etc.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I too just installed the Yakima track rack on my 2012 hardtop. Almost made me cry to drill into the painted hardtop! lol

My concerns are I don't want to have to use their "Hullraiser" to carry kayaks, crossbars should be enough - BUT there is nothing to ratchet to like a factory rack would have. If you put too much tension on the bars it will damage your fiberglass hardtop i would imagine.

So I'm going to order the Mega Warrior basket for it and strap down the kayaks to it (the basket is 58" long I think)

When the roof is off I just strap to the factory roll bars and use some foam padding.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
I installed the Thule system on mine and also thinking about kayaks when having the soft top.

So, for this, considering using a RR windshield light bar as front support and a rack extension that attaches to the hitch receiver for the back. Both Thule and Yakima make them. Since kayaks are light this should work fine. And on a budget. ;-)
This is exactly what I'm going with this summer, just looking for a deal on the RR light bar.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Modify the olympic quick rack to fit the jk
Use the yakima or thule X bars, ive ratcheted a kayak on em and theyre fine
If your topless just throw a towel between them and crank that sucker down, its a jeep not a bentley, abuse it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1877273924.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	314284   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3210146027.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	314285   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3769294145.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	46.5 KB