Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Racks

Old 04-14-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racks

I am hoping that someone on here can give me some advice. I am looking at getting a rack for my 2008 4dr Jeep. I have a 12 Foot Stand Up Paddle board and I need something that I can tie the board to. I know that I can just strap it down to the two cross beans. Which is no big deal. However, I came across the Olympic Quick N easy Rack. I was wondering if anybody has this? What do you think? I can’t find installation instructions online for, so I don’t know if I need to remove my side rail for the soft top when installing it. If someone can give me some insight on that, that would be great. Any pictures what help as well.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm looking at this same rack for the same reason! I did find some instructions posted on line, but they were for the TJ, not the JK. If they are the same, you can leave the surrounds in place, you just replace the bolt. I'm looking for a discount code for one of the board Sponsors so I can save a couple bucks...
Old 05-05-2015, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought this rack, and I'm here to tell you, out of the box, it's neither quick nor easy. It if a sturdy rack, and it is on my Jeep, and it does a good job of securely transporting our two 12' paddle boards, but... This thing could have been engineered a lot better. First, the front mount is nothing like what is shown in the on-line instructions at the stores that sell it. During my research I thought the front rack mounted using the front bolt location on the surround, and the back rack clamped to the roll bar. Nope, both clamp to the roll bar. They also use standard bolts, nuts, and lock washers. In order to get a good secure mount, you have to tighten the clamps securely. So, unless you carry a 9/16 wrench with you, removal is neither quick, nor easy!

I did make a couple changes that have made the rack much easier to remove and stow if needed. I replaced one nut on each clamp with a wing nut, this way the clamp can be tightened and loosened by hand if needed. I put a drop of locktight of the nuts of the other bolts so they say where I have them set.

One of the other things I had to change was swap out a couple longer bolts for the back clamps. The instructions say to trim some of the padding under the cloth cover, I say, why not just provide ½" longer bolts? Also, in order to keep the door surrounds on the Jeep, you have to mount the front rack about half way between the two mounting bolt for the surround, other wise, you'll never get the surround back on. This isn't a problem if you go doors off, but if you don't then it is... I would prefer to have the front rack further forward to allow more room between the racks on my 2 door Jeep, but even as I have them, they still hold both boards very securely as we head to the beach.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed the Smittybilt SRC overhead rack, works great, I'm carrying 3 kayaks up top with no issues, length ranging from 12'-15', installation did require a bit of force, some of the holes were a bear to line up, but all in all I'm very happy with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-37612641.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	609868
Old 05-08-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

if you have a hard top the thule 300 feet with 58" flat bars will work fine. You can get a used set on craigslist for around $100.

If you are running no top at all I see no reason to buy a rack, just tie the board down to the top of the roll cage bars and throw some pool noodle floats underneath.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh crap! I thought this thread was about something else. Carry on.

Quick Reply: Racks