Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rabicon D44 front a good buy?

Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rabicon D44 front a good buy?

I'm looking to replace the D30 on my JKUx and I see that you can get the Rubicon D44 with an elocker for about $2300. I don't know much about axles but this seems like a pretty decent deal.
My main goals are to add lockers and to be able to upgrade to 37s instead of the 35s I have now. Is there a better option around the same price range? I dont go too crazy offroad so I dont think I could justify spending much more than a couple thousand on it.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The price isn't horrible, I've seen much higher. But, does it have the same gears as in your rear axle? Or is that an additional cost? And it is not a crate axle, I imagine? How old/used is it?

Externally, the front D44 is the same strength as the D30 you have now. Same dimensions, tube diameter, wall thickness, brackets, etc. They even use the same C's and brakes. If you want to come anywhere close to comparing it with an aftermarket housing, you will need to spend a lot of time and/or money on strengthening it. (but by the time you get to that point, you are better off aftermarket anyway, especially if the caster correction would be beneficial to you. I think people were posting about G2 44's running around $3500)

Internally, you get the d44 gears which are a nice improvement, slightly beefier axle shafts, and of course the selectable locker.

Is it worth it to you? No idea. Depends on your preferences and usage. If it has the gearing you want and your usage is somewhat mild, go for it. If you have to regear and think you want to strengthen it, start charting a side by side comparison of costs and see what you come up with.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-23-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

That price is for a new axle straight from Mopar.
I seem to recall that I have 4.10s currently so the gearing would match up fine. Though I do need to regear already with 35s so that will definitely be an issue with 37s.

Are used D30s selling for much? I can’t imagjne I’d recoup much cost selling it off
Old 10-24-2018, 05:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

If you're going to have to regear, the ONLY thing you're gaining over what you currently have is an average at best e-locker. For your described use, that locker would be fine, but you're getting very little else for that $2300. Yes, the ring gear is slightly larger, but if you're not out doing some heavy rock crawling, this shouldn't be a huge selling point IMO. You're going to throw another $750 at that axle to regear it, so you really need to look at it as a $3k purchase, and you're STILL going to end up with a weak Mopar housing/brackets with cheap factory BJs that those 37s are going to eat up. At the very least you'd need to add some gussets. Personally, I'd not consider it, and that's coming from someone who bought a crated rubi 44 for $1800 and built it up, regeared, all that good stuff.....Even with truss, gussets, all 1/4" bracketry.....it still can't compare to an aftermarket.

I'd say you might be better off using the money to reagear front and rear to 4.88 for 37s, throw trutracs in there, add gussets, and budget for some BJs, and go have fun with it.

Oddly enough, I'd think the D30 would be easier to sell if it had 3.21 or 3.73 as it would be plug and play for someone returning to stock to trade one in, or someone needing a replacement. I think finding someone wanting a D30 with 4.10s (if that is what you really have) might be a bit harder.

**another course of action might be to just look for some axles that have already been regeared, swap em in, and then might be easier to sell your current front/rear combo with 4.10s as a set to someone else that needs a slight improvement in gearing.

Last edited by resharp001; 10-24-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Having a D30 with 4.10 gears sounds odd. The D30 typically comes with 3.21 or 3.73 gears. Did you regear the D30 to 4.10 gears? If so, that's not a typical beneficial change in gearing when moving to 35s or 37s.

I agree with everyone else's advise the factory D44 is not a good investment for the prices they're selling. Now if it was a factory HD D44 they're putting on the newer Recons, that would be a different story.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

What year is your jeep? Do you have a lift? If so, how tall?

2007 was the only year I remember hearing about where you could get d30's with 4.10s. It's been 3.21 or 3.73 since then. Newer rubi axles can come with either 3.73 or 4.10, so if it will be a while before you get around to regearing, double check what you have and what that axle comes with. But as noted, add the cost of the regear on top of the new axle, and you may be close enough to an aftermarket option to make the jump. And, depending on your lift height, the caster correction offered on aftermarket axles could also sway the decision for you. But, spend a little time on that side by side cost comparison spreadsheet and see what you see.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd look into Dana's Ultimate D44, which is essentially the same as the Rubi 44 but with thicker axle tubes. Price is comparable.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
What year is your jeep? Do you have a lift? If so, how tall?

2007 was the only year I remember hearing about where you could get d30's with 4.10s. It's been 3.21 or 3.73 since then. Newer rubi axles can come with either 3.73 or 4.10, so if it will be a while before you get around to regearing, double check what you have and what that axle comes with. But as noted, add the cost of the regear on top of the new axle, and you may be close enough to an aftermarket option to make the jump. And, depending on your lift height, the caster correction offered on aftermarket axles could also sway the decision for you. But, spend a little time on that side by side cost comparison spreadsheet and see what you see.
Mine is a 2007. Its been several years since I installed my 35s but when I was doing the math for the procal I thought I remembered figuring that I had 4.10s. I could be mistaken.
I have a 2.5" lift currently. I was hoping to stick with it with 37s since I have flat fenders too.

I guess the one thing I dont know is what a good price is for a solid aftermarket option. It seems like every time I try to configure a complete axle setup I end up at $5k+ per axle pretty quickly. But I also dont know much about what Im looking for.

Ill check out the ultimate D44 now.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by AXIS
I guess the one thing I dont know is what a good price is for a solid aftermarket option. It seems like every time I try to configure a complete axle setup I end up at $5k+ per axle pretty quickly. But I also dont know much about what Im looking for..
Yeah, just depends on the options you choose. When I got my PR44 (back before all these other companies released their versions), I was cash-poor and wanted to keep the costs down, so opted for new factory balljoints (included in the cost), and re-used the outer axle shafts from my d30 instead of going for a full chromo set. And let my shop talk me into an arb instead of the truetrac I knew I wanted... Just gotta figure out what is right for you.

For a while G2's front 44 was getting a lot of attention because of the great rebate. Put the price well below any of the others. But I think it's only $250 now? And I saw the Dana Ultimate 44 that sok66 mentioned for $2995 at northridge4x4. (5/16" tube walls instead of 1/4". Thicker brackets. Chromoly shafts - though it doesn't give an indication of the strength upgrade. 4.88 gears. A 'performance' diff cover - again, no indication of how special it is. And the factory e-locker.) Actually haven't seen much feedback on these, but might be a solid choice.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

So many ways to skin a cat. I don't know that these are still hanging out there, but pointing it out as an example -

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/sale-...2016-jkur.html

Asking $5k for rubi D44s with RCV and Ten Factory shafts, geared to 4.88. That might sound like a lot, but get front and rear lockers, $1200 RCVs, $400 Ten Factory chromoly shafts on top of the small extras like gussets, BJs, and LCA skids, and it's geared properly for you. Flip out of your D30/44 combo for whatever, and it's a nice upgrade. Then, if you ever sell the jeep, flip those out there for sale and you buy some cheap stock geared axles to trade in with the jeep.

Same thing if you buy an aftermarket axle. Don't look at it as money you dumped, it's just an investment/rental.....cuz when you're done with them they will retain most their value. You can turn around and sell the axles, and just get some cheap stockers to throw back in.

The hardest part is being honest with yourself about what your usage and real need is. It's easy to overspend on something due to fear. To me, it sounds like your offroad use is more fun/lighter stuff rather than hardcore needing full selectable lockers and you're gonna be playing in big rocks with the threat of breaking things. Many of us have been in your same situation, so know it's enough to make your head really spin.....decisions, decisions, decisions. LOL.

Save some room in your budget for additional things you might find necessary once you jump to 37s. You might decide it's time for a brake upgrade, and you're def going to be addressing BJs (which I mentioned before), and you might be wanting a TR if you haven't replaced that yet.. IDK how it would sit on a 2.5" lift......for me on a 3.5" lift, 37s were the time to suck it up and get a full set of adjustable arms to get my axles where I wanted them. The rear tire was really creeping forward in the wheel wheel. You many not have that issue on 2.5" lift. My point is just plan ahead, cuz there will be unexpected costs.

Best of luck with whatever direction you decide to go in. Happy building!

Quick Reply: Rabicon D44 front a good buy?