Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

r u guys concern about tire weight?

Old 07-05-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default r u guys concern about tire weight?

i'm thinking to buy 285 70 r17 nitto trail grappler or bf ta km2..

i like nitto's aggressive looks but it's 67 pounds. but bfg is only 58pounds.. almost 10 pounds lighter of each..

do you think it is huge different for gas and some performance?

which one do you guys recomend?
Old 07-05-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It matters, i am seeing 2 mpg less with my nitto 37 vs my bfg 37
Old 07-05-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was... so I ended up waiting 2 months for BFG's to come in stock... my 35's with wheels and tires weigh under 85lbs... If you put those 33inch nittos on your OEM wheel it would be heavier than my 35s! the Nittos are great tires though.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tkkim
i'm thinking to buy 285 70 r17 nitto trail grappler or bf ta km2..

i like nitto's aggressive looks but it's 67 pounds. but bfg is only 58pounds.. almost 10 pounds lighter of each..

do you think it is huge different for gas and some performance?

which one do you guys recomend?
There is a simple way to find out this. Attach 10 lbs sand bags to each of your ankles. Walk around a bit, and then see if it makes a huge difference.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

seriously guys, rolling resistance makes WAY MORE of a difference than tire weight. falken wildpeak at's weigh more than a bfg mt but will give you much better mpg. having said that, unsprung weight is a GOOD thing as it helps to keep your COG down low and all 4 on the floor. this is a good thing if you actually wheel your jeep.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
unsprung weight is a GOOD thing as it helps to keep your COG down low and all 4 on the floor. this is a good thing if you actually wheel your jeep.
It certainly has its benefits. But having better MPG is also good if you DD it. And easier on driveline too.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat: I want lightest wheels in 34in height because I have a sport wrangler and just don't feel too comfortable stressing my D30 if I can go with a lighter alternative
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
It certainly has its benefits. But having better MPG is also good if you DD it. And easier on driveline too.
if mpg is so important to you, run a set of range e falken wildpeaks as you WILL get much better mpg than what you are running now and this in spite of the fact that they are considerably heavier. again, rolling resistance or lack thereof will trump weight.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bigchelis
I'm in the same boat: I want lightest wheels in 34in height because I have a sport wrangler and just don't feel too comfortable stressing my D30 if I can go with a lighter alternative
there are a lot of things that can stress out a d30 but i can assure you that 10 lb heavier tires is not one of them. if you really think they will, you shouldn't run anything bigger than stock tires.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If we are talking about driving on the road and fuel mileage then your sandbag reference makes no sense at all. The jeep is not picking up the tire, just rolling it.

When I was stock I had 31" SRAs at 21.5 MPG highway. Where I am at now, 35" Falken Rocky Mts (I weighed them mounted and compared them to the stock 31's on moabs and I'm pretty sure it was 65lbs stock to 105 Falkens on Black Rock d-windows so 160lbs added in tires and wheels) added a 3" lift, got rid of the air dam, flat front fenders, 200 extra pounds of ACE armor and 100 pounds of tools and recovery gear I didn't have before and I'm am getting 19.5 MPH freeway. I would make the argument that most of the loss came from sitting 5" taller between the lift and tires although a decently built rig getting almost 20 MPH is really nothing to complain about.

As far as performance it is difficult for me to tell since increasing tire size without gearing to compensate makes it an impossible comparison in acceleration but my braking hasn't really suffered. In fact I think the increased traction makes up for any added weight when it comes to controlled stops.

I would say put the weight issue at the bottom of your cons list. For me the deciding factors were what tire will perform best in the terrain I will mostly see and can I DD it without excessive tire noise and wear. For me from the reviews I read the Wild Peaks/Rocky Mts were exactly what I wanted and I'm not disappointed. They are great in the desert and rocks of southern Nevada, we do some serious rock crawling, and they are amazing on the highway. They supposedly are mediocre in mud but I live in the desert so the tread wear and noise of MTs would be wasted on me.

Quick Reply: r u guys concern about tire weight?